Monday 11 March 2019

Bible Quizzing Reflections and more.....

Back from another quiz meet.  We had a really tough practice season with quizzing this winter as so many practices got cancelled.  Then some of our team weren't able to make it due to an injury in a family.  I got a lot of grief about memorizing from some of the kids just because it is a LOT of work and it doesn't come naturally to everyone to be able to memorize so much material.  When I got to the quiz meet, I was honestly thinking.....maybe we just need to take a break....

But then, the day started and I saw the kids interacting with other kids.  I saw them jumping up for verses they knew.  I interacted with many moms that day that all had a story about the impact of Bible quizzing.  I watched so many kids who knew their stuff so well.  It was truly so inspiring.  How could we take a year off when it is so obviously impacting them for eternity?  It was a great day.  Our kids didn't do the best, but even my 15 year old said that even if she didn't win an award that day, she'd memorized 6 more chapters of John!  They'll have done the whole book by the end.  It was the longest book so far, over 900 verses.  Mind boggling really.  So, I guess we'll just keep at it for now!

I learned that my presence at the quiz meets matters.  I didn't even realize that really.  I wasn't able to make it to the last one and knew I should try to be there for this one.  I made it to most of the quizzes, but missed a few, too.  When we got home, my daughter said how much it made her feel so good to know I was there in the room watching her.  Then she said, "It's so great to see you in the hall!"  When I wasn't there last time, I guess it was noticed!  Those are such interesting statements to me.  I wasn't coaching, hardly even talking to them, but there was just something about them seeing me that made them feel something positive.  Maybe security?  Maybe happiness?  I don't know.  It's hard to get in the head of a child, but I'm pocketing that information.  It made me feel like maybe, just maybe, my job as a mom does get noticed sometimes.  They have a hard time putting it into words sometimes, but when they do, it is so great.

I laughed when my oldest son told me he was giving up "money" for Lent.  Kinda makes sense as he has no money.  But when I probed him on it, he said that every time he would typically want to spend money on coffee or a muffin, now he can't, so instead he prays - about his future, our family, his goals, our goals....I thought at first it was an out, but it turns out, he wants to spend money all the time, so instead he is praying more because he has no money to spend!  It still works!

We are loving the "no TV" house we have right now.  We are interacting way more as a family, enjoying activities that got ignored when the TV was around.  We're all pretty glad it's gone.  Lots of positives there.

One thing my youngest daughter has started experimenting with during this time is homemade lip gloss.  The other day she made one out of coconut oil and a melted crayon!  I tried it and loved it!  Ok, maybe crayon wax isn't the best thing on my face, but it was a pretty good deal and I didn't have to go spend any money, so I thought, for now, it's good! 

The kids think it is March Break.....I'm not sure how to break it to them that we still have to do school....lots to do.....

1 comment:

  1. God's word willNOT return void. PTL we don't always realize how that will play out. But the fact that your crew ARE memorizing, it is going into their hearts and minds and what better than the Bread of Life !! And yes, Y O U matter and your kids verified that at the quiz meet and always, but as you said, they can't put it into words. Bless you, you are a committed loving parent. A good example is from your oldest son, how the Lord is impacting him re Lent alone, besides on so many other fronts. It is truly surprising what one can get along without, eg TV. Glad of the evidence of the positive. It could be great resentment. May He keep protecting your family on all fronts. oxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete