Monday 17 January 2022

Answered Prayer for Me, Not My Son

My 11 year old will be very excited today - his prayers were answered.  We aren't going to our first day of co-op!  That was his prayer, anyway.  Snowed in.  Big time.  Can't even see my husband's car, the drifts are soooo high.  Last week my husband walked into the kitchen just after my son had just found out we were going to officially do the co-op.  He walked right up to his dad and with a borderline rude voice loudly said, "WHY? Why did you let Mom put us in this co-op?!  What were you thinking?  I PRAYED ABOUT THIS!"  Haha, oh the poor boy.  It just keeps confirming why we need to do it.  Well, the truth is, we won't do it if it isn't completely working for our family.  No one is going to force anyone to do anything that is dumb and a waste of time, HOWEVER, we aren't going to allow a 9 and 11 year old to dictate what we do either.  I laughed that he prayed about it.  I told him that God may have actually answered his prayer by allowing us to go ahead with it!  The co-op involved a lot of songs and singing that aid with memorizing and that is NOT his style (way too cool for that), but I still want them to do it anyway in the name of adding new synapses to their brains that can only come with memorizing.  I hope they can get their minds around it in time....I'm hopeful!

Last week we had a great opportunity to be interviewed by a new bottle shop owner in the city near us.  It was a great chance to reflect on how we came to be where we are and how our vision for our family and running a winery even came to be.  The questions we were asked helped us to remember and reflect.  We get so easily discouraged after a hard day on the farm, so that was great to see it on paper what we've done and even to remind ourselves why we do what we do and what our goals are.  If ONLY we could quit all our side hustles and just do one thing, that would really help and that is my prayer for 2022, alongside our "focus" word, that God will, sooner than later, allow us to do one thing, not 100 things.

Last week was a hard week on our son waiting to hear from med school - another rejection.  He never expects to get an interview as he knows there are nearly 6000 applicants for a couple hundred spots, but he always hopes.  When he received the "no" it almost shocked me as my faith was so strong, but a "no" it was.  There are a few more to hear from and if it's a "no" from them as well, so be it.  We won't borrow sorrow from tomorrow, as I tell the kids all the time.

Well...off to wake up kids - they'll be playing in the snow all day....

No comments:

Post a Comment