Wednesday 11 November 2015

Neighbourhood Life Lessons

Today it is raining and it appears like it has been raining all night.  In the past that would have made us very worried as our basement wasn't coping so well until this past summer.  Now, it is clean and dry and a wet day like today makes us so grateful for the work RM was able to do this year. 

Our next project has been taking us several years to do, but one step at a time..... it is slowly, but surely getting done.  We've been residing the house on our own for the last couple of years.  Our house was never insulated very well and we have been paying heating bills that were astronomical.  The bills are slowly coming down, but there is still more work to do. 

This past weekend he fully finished one side of the house with our boys' help.  It is no small task as he is always in pain to some degree when he is done for the day, but to hire it out would cost thousands.  This way our boys are getting an education and we are saving tons of money.

At this new community church we're checking out, it turns out we are now rubbing shoulders with pillars of the community who have lived in this town for years.  It kind of feels like going to church at Little House on the Prairie where everyone knows everyone.  On Sunday night, just through chance conversation with one of the senior men who attend, RM found out that one of our neighbours had passed away!  We had no idea!  I felt so badly that we hadn't known that I was determined to make a quick visit to give our condolences.

The next morning, one of the kids made some muffins.  They were fresh and warm and I thought, "That's perfect, I'll bring some of those."  It's funny how nervous I got suddenly.  We never speak to these neighbours though our properties touch.  They keep to themselves very much and don't ever come our way.  That explains why I didn't know, I guess.  But suddenly I found myself wondering if this neighbour would think I was nuts or if it would even seem appropriate.  Strange how I was second guessing myself, but I went with the younger 4 and the muffins and off we went.

It ended up working out perfectly.  The neighbour, in his 70s, was out with another neighbour who was over visiting with him, enjoying the sunshine.  I was glad I knew for sure he was home.  I waved from the street and he and the other man waved back.  Then, I walked up the long driveway to say hi and told him we had only just heard about his wife passing away much to our embarrassment.  He was very gracious and explained it had been just over 10 months ago.  She had had a series of strokes and in just 3 days, she was gone.  He said they had buried her on New Year's Eve.  It all happened so fast.  She was much younger than him, only 52.  I could see it in his face that he was still very easily moved to emotion if the wrong questions were asked. 

I was so glad we went to visit.  Everything in me didn't want to even though I knew it was the right thing to do.  I didn't want to have to talk about death.  I didn't want to meet the man who had lost his wife.  I didn't want to be in an uncomfortable situation, but I came back so grateful for the chance to show him some compassion, to let him know that even though we didn't see one another very often that we were thinking of him.  It was good for our little ones to see him, to hear his story, for me to see his emotion.

I told RM we now have a responsibility to him as a widower.  We really need to make regular visits with food or extra baking or whatever.  God has put him in our life.  It is not easy for any of us to deal with death and I am not very good at it, but I want my children to learn compassion and so this is a great way.  Once again, it was also a great reminder that every day is a gift.  We can't take for granted a single day.

Today is Remembrance Day.  I'm thinking of my grandfather who was in the war, but was one of the fortunate few who came back alive after being separated from his wife for 4 years.  Many pieces of his puzzle have been put into place thanks to my uncle doing some major work in compiling all their letters over those long years apart.  It was so interesting to read this year.  So today the kids will write letters to my uncles for doing all that work and for keeping his memory alive.  I'm so grateful.  This way they truly will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment