Tuesday 15 September 2015

Carrying My Cross a Little Differently

Our first week here we had great neighbours on both sides.  I never even thought to think about that.  The second week one of the neighbours stayed, the others left.  Only to be replaced with what appeared to be a beer-drinking, music-playing, loud-talking group of tourists.  I was so upset!  The first night they played their loud awful music till nearly midnight.  I had gone to bed at ten and was laying in bed trying not to panic, praying, hating, all at the same time.

The next morning no one else had heard them in our family, just me.  I tried to explain, "This is not good."  What if it was going to be like that the rest of the week?  Would we have to say something, call the owner, approach the neighbours?  This all sounds so petty, but I was convinced our final week was on the line and I didn't want to be kept up for hours at night only to go back home exhausted from no sleep!

RM was determined to be calm, to not panic.  He led us all in a great prayer about it, for me, for them.  But I was still mad!  I was walking around the house wanting to send my toddlers over there to wake them up from their stupor.  I was thinking of ways of getting back at them.  I was being quite awful I have to admit!

Then I read the devotional book I had brought along.  I shouldn't have, it changed my attitude!  It was so simple really.  It talked about carrying whatever cross it is that is giving you distress, but carrying it with a smile.  Instead of carrying it around as a burden, it was suggested that you take your cross and use it as a crutch to help you.  I knew that was what I was supposed to do.  I decided to be friendly, look for an opportunity to say hi (as I had with both neighbours the week before).  I decided instead of modeling this awful attitude in front of my kids, I would try to be a good girl and instead of pretending I'd given it up to God, this time I really would.

Almost right away I felt better.  Then I went down to the beach with the kids to collect shells.  I recognized one of the new neighbours on the beach immediately.  I started to pray for him.  I prayed for conviction for him, that he would be sensitive to the fact a whole family, full of children were right next door, that they would not be partying the whole week.

Then I headed back to the other side of the house where we swam in the pool.  I saw the two guys approaching their house and our eyes caught.  "Hi!" I waved friendly-like.  "Are you here all week?  Where are you from?"  One of them came over to the fence to talk for a minute.  I had barely gotten out where we were from when he basically cut in and started explaining that they normally don't drink and make all that noise and that he's not like that usually and that, well, he likes it here because it's quiet and he went on and on.....I hadn't said a thing.  He seemed to feel tremendous guilt for their behaviour the night before without me saying a single word!  I just smiled and told how much we had enjoyed our first week and how pleasant it was here at the Outer Banks.  That was it.

Last night was oddly quiet!  No loud music or partying on the deck.  At first glance they seemed like young punks, at least from a distance.  But up close they were actually two couples probably in their 40s.  No kids around to speak of.  Perhaps just on a holiday celebrating their first night away, who knows.  All I know is God convicted them.  Is it coincidence that it seemed to happen right after I changed my attitude?  Not sure, but it did seem like interesting timing.  Oh, there goes my neighbour now, with a fishing rod in hand.  He looked up and smiled.  I waved.  Seem like such nice people!

1 comment:

  1. Great learning time for you; great answer to prayer....such a marvelous reminder to put things in His hands rather than take things in our own hands, huh? So encouraged for you, Keep having fun one and all....oxooxox

    ReplyDelete