Friday 14 October 2016

Dogs "R" Us

I'm convinced that God books my dentist appointments just to get me in the car so I can hear a preacher preach on just what I need to hear.....months in advance.

I'd been reading in Nehemiah these past weeks.  I love that book so much.  It just so happened that when I got in the car yesterday the preacher on the radio was also preaching on Nehemiah.  As soon as I turned it on, he said, "Whenever you are doing something for the Lord, expect opposition!  It always comes!"  He was referring to Sanballat and Tobiah who immediately started to oppose the work Nehemiah was doing when he built the wall.

Those few words helped me so much as we often experience opposition in this war against debt and in the war to raise our family.  So many things coming after us to tear us down, to tell us we can't do it, to discourage us.  Yet the reminder was to see how Nehemiah handled it....prayer.  He immediately turned his thoughts to God and prayed and then went right back to work.

One thing the pastor pointed out that I hadn't noticed before when I had read the passage, was that they built the wall, all the way around, to half height.  It was fully joined up, no gaps, just not to complete height....yet.  This is incredibly significant.  Nehemiah was very strategic in doing the wall all the way around first before building it up to the top.  He could have had each family build the section in front of them right to the top and then move to the left or right and build that section right to the top, but he knew he needed to get the gaps closed so there was no room for anything to sneak in.

I was so excited about that.  I came home and told the kids what I had heard on the radio.  I asked them why do you think Nehemiah did that?  They got it right away, "So there was no room for anyone to get in through the cracks or gaps?"  Yes!  Then I asked them, "What would that look like for us as we try to build our debt-reduction wall or our family wall?"  They thought about it and then realized, "We have to close the gaps in our wall, too?"  Yes!  We talked about what the gaps are.  Silly things that we like to spend money on because we're so weak!  I encouraged them to remember when we want to spend extra money that that is like a gap in the wall that will keep us from ever finishing! For our family, it's attacks from the world that want to either split us up or tear our convictions down.

My oldest son has been very diligent in saving his money.  His wall is good.  He has had a vision of being debt-free from the beginning and rarely spends his money.  He has a unique opportunity this weekend to purchase a female collie in order to breed with our male collie.  This female dog is very expensive as she wins in competitions and dog shows and the owner intended to get top dollar for her and her pups.  There was no way we were going to be able to afford this dog, but my son can afford her!  He can also afford all the kennel equipment, the vet bills, the dog food.  We aren't buying any of that.  Whether he knows it or not, he is starting a business!  A dog breeding business!  And the exciting part is - he can!  Why?  Because he built a wall with no gaps!  I told him that yesterday and explained to him how great that is.  I encouraged him to understand what an opportunity this is because of the wise choices he's made.  He's able to do it because of choices he made months ago, never knowing those choices would impact him in a positive way later.

We had been praying with him and for him for a way to make money for a long time, nothing was working out.  He had applied to many jobs only to not hear back or the position would be suddenly filled.  When this dog came up on-line, it seemed like the perfect opportunity as it allows him to "work from home"!  Plus, it fills his dog-shaped vacuum in his soul!  He loves dogs!!!!  Being hands-free on this one is hard for my husband and I as we want to step in and do everything for him as we have all along.  But this time we are standing back.  He is making all the phone calls, all the emails, all the research....and all the purchasing.  What a great experience it has already been for him.   I thank God for this unique opportunity.  The one funny thing that holds him back is that he doesn't want to become one of those crazy dog people that learn to interact so well with dogs that you lose your human skills, but I keep reassuring him that we'll help keep him "normal".

So that is a great example of a wall, well-built!  As we keep working on our financial wall, our kids have learned a few lessons on the way.  They want their wall stronger than ours was/is.  It means they are learning from our experience which makes me realize our struggles have not been in vain.  I knew that, and figured I would see that at some point in my life, but I'm glad I've seen it sooner than later.

After this weekend, we'll grow from one dog, to two dogs, to many dogs.....I am NOT a dog person, so this should be interesting.  Each day I look outside and smile as our kids walk by our current collie and whisper to him, "You're getting married this weekend!!!!"  He has no idea......

No comments:

Post a Comment