Thursday 21 September 2017

Looking for Ancient Paths

Finally one of the computers we ordered came in, so I can blog again!  My son took my other one off to school, so I was computer-less for 3 weeks unless I woke up earlier than normal.  That didn't always happen.

He's finishing his 3rd week and so far so good.  He probably feels like he's there all day every day, cause he is!  But we continue to be so grateful for the way things have worked out.  He's able to drive to school and back every day with my husband and that has just been awesome.  Their schedules are completely coordinated right down to their night classes.  This has been just what he needed for his first year. 

The other kids and I are wading through the school year.  Some enjoying it more than others.  Junior quizzing has taken off and we're enjoying that new element to our day.  I'm shocked to see how well they are doing.  I had received some resistance suggesting that it was too much for the younger ages, two verses a day, but for the most part, these little people are doing it!  Rising up to the challenge they've been given and it is absolutely amazing to watch them.

Meanwhile, I'm reading through Jeremiah and came across a classic verse, "Thus says the Lord, 'Stand by the roads, and look, and ask for the ancient paths, where the good way is, and walk in it, and find rest for your souls.'" (6:16).  The ancient paths.  I talked about this with the kids, asking them to pick out the action words.  Stand.  Look.  Ask. Walk.  Find Rest.  It seems like the perfect formula for peace and joy.  Yet why is there sometimes conflict throughout the day either between me and a child or between siblings?  Because of the next verse....."But they said, 'We will not walk in it....We will not pay attention."  Well, there you go.  The Lord tells us how to have a good life, but we just ignore the plan.  The results?  "I am bringing disaster upon this people, the fruit of their devices, because they have not paid attention to my words; and as for my law, they have rejected it."

It was the perfect Bible Study.  Do what God says and you will have rest for your souls.  Ignore His Law and life will not go so well for you.  The rest of the week I just kept telling the kids, "Watch for the ancient paths!"  Whether or not they fully grasp it at a young age doesn't matter to me.  I'm trying to fill their minds with Biblical vocabulary.  I know God's Word will not return void if I just keep getting it out there, in their minds, in their own speech.


No comments:

Post a Comment