Friday 27 October 2017

Boots, Pups, and Friends

I've pretty much stopped shopping for myself.  Only occasionally do I have to run out to get something that has literally worn out, like a pair of flip flops....they never make it more than a season.  I will also be in a thrift shop once in awhile and see a shirt for $4....I think we can manage that.  It's just one of those ways that I try to be creative almost every day with the clothes that I have.  I can hardly justify what the malls ask me to pay, so I don't think I've spent money in a mall in possibly years. 

But, I do love to look nice and I do love the trendy styles, so what then?  Fortunately, I have a God who cares even about what I wear.  Last year I bought myself a pair of boots that were nice and functional.  I paid $15 and they were virtually brand new at a thrift store.  I couldn't believe the deal I got.  I wear them all the time.  I knew I wouldn't "need" anymore this year.  But I did see all the cute styles coming out!  I admired them from afar.

Then, this week, I was out with the younger kids at a pumpkin patch field trip and one of the moms I've gotten to know came up to me and asked what shoe size I was...Then she proceeded to ask me if I wanted a pair of boots her mom had passed on to her that were way to small for her.  That was a bit risky, but I said I would look at them.  It turns out they were the cutest little things, brand new, my size and I could have them, for free, it I wanted them!  Sure! I said.  I shook my head the whole way home.  Boots from heaven, given to me at a pumpkin patch.  Talk about the least expected time and place.  I was grateful.

My sister is my other main source of "new" things!  She often passes on clothes to us that she doesn't wear anymore and that could possibly fit me or my oldest.  I end up with a lot of them!  Fortunately she lives far enough away that her friends don't live near me and wonder if we have all the same clothes!  That is a way easier way of shopping when the clothes come right to you!  Because I'm home most of the time, it really doesn't matter what I'm wearing.  I have more than enough to keep some variety in my daily choices and once in awhile it gets shaken up by a delivery or two.  If I were out working, maybe things would have to be different, but right now, this way of clothes shopping suits me fine.

We're almost at the end of the week of renos.  We didn't get as far as we hoped because we decided to level the floor.  That took all week.  It was 3 inches lower on one side of the room.  So it was quite obvious and to put new flooring on that would have been ridiculous.  Today the plywood will go down and then we'll start on the other side of the room, ripping out the floor.  I have to say, renovations that don't make an obvious aesthetic difference drive me crazy.  They have to be done, but no one will ever walk in and say how lovely and level my floor is!  However, I know the value of it, so I'm good with it, just wish I had more to show for all the time and effort!  It was so great having RM around all week.  I will miss having him back at work.  We enjoyed coffee again together every morning and the extended conversations.

We also praise God because it seems all the puppies are sold!  We do have one left, but she might be the one we keep to breed.  Haven't decided.  My son's year is paid for now and we marvel because he hardly was able to work all summer as he was doing school.  But, we're quick to explain to him that even though it seems like "free" money whenever someone comes to pay for a pup, it wasn't free money.  We reminded him of all the driving we/I did to the breeder's, multiple times, far away.  We remind him of all the puppy food, vet bills, vet trips, gas, time, etc.  We remind him of all the care the puppies got in those early days that were on all of us when he was at school.  No, it wasn't free money.  He (and all of us) worked for it.  But, all in all, it was a great experience and we will do it again, Lord willing, next spring.

Last thing.  I've been praying for my kids more than ever, but to make sure I give each child focused prayer, I do the Susanna Wesley thing, where I focus on one child at a time.  She would cover up her face with a tea towel and pray for an hour.  I don't quite do that!  But, I will assign one day a week to focused prayer for each child, doubling up on some days as I have 8 kids and only 7 days in a week! Yesterday, I was specifically praying for my 2nd daughter, 4th child.  She has been down and out all week as she's been a bit sick with a flu virus and she also misses her friends, the ones who lived with us on and off all year.  Now they're settled in school so we don't see them as much.  I've been praying for friends for her or for something in her life to give her new purpose and direction.  She's got a very special friendship with our 3rd born, her brother.  They hang out all day together, doing school upstairs.  They go everywhere together which is nice for both of them as once my son went off to university he left behind his close friend/brother who also is lonely.  Though they aren't the friends I thought, I feel God answered my prayers by making these brother/sister siblings left behind more close.  However, I still prayed for other friends, too.

Yesterday, I went to our homeschool meeting and I met two different women that I hardly knew and both of them approached me and wanted to connect.  It turns out they both have daughters my age.  One invited our family for lunch so that we could connect and the other one I will probably see next week at another event.  I marvelled at how God was so specifically answering my prayers for her.  It encouraged me to keep doing what I'm doing.

1 comment:

  1. Love reading of His care for/over you in body, mind and spirit. God is good - proves Himself to us of His love and care over and over reminding us to bring glory to Him in all we do. Love how He is reinforcing His care to you, through you, in you. Bless YOU. oxo

    ReplyDelete