Monday 7 October 2019

Glad They Didn't Listen To Me

I was caught completely off-guard this weekend.  I wasn't expecting a thing.  I had been VERY specific on what I wanted to do with this gigantic birthday coming up - nothing!  I couldn't get my head around celebrating.  Not because I don't love birthdays or aging.  I just couldn't picture everyone going to so much work to plan something.  I also always get so emotional and cry for hours.  I couldn't picture that either.  I told everyone if they knew of something being planned to SHUT IT DOWN.  I was told everyone was being obedient.  But they weren't, at all.

Instead my sister planned an overnight with me.  That should have been my first clue, but she assured me there were no surprises.  I believed her.  There wasn't.  We had a lovely night away and a spa treatment the next morning.  All good.  Had a great time.  But then she got us checked out and in the car on our way home by noon.  No shopping, no lunch...that seemed odd to me, but she seemed to have to go visit her son out that way, so fine.  As we pulled up the street I saw the cars and thought at first there was an emergency at our house or maybe a kid event I'd forgotten about, but then it hit me like a ton of bricks and my first words out of my mouth were, "What have you done?!"  The tears immediately started.  I didn't even know whose cars they were or who was there, I was just so overwhelmed.  I just kept saying, "You didn't listen to me!"

After a few minutes of my ungrateful ramblings, I eventually stumbled out of the car.  I still couldn't see who was there through all my tears.  Can't say I didn't warn them?!  As I walked slowly up the steps I greeted each person one by one.  I was in absolute shock.  They had invited a small group of people from my past life that I hadn't seen in over 30 years.  People I had hung out with when I was in highschool, university, first years of marriage....each time I went to a new person, my mouth would open in awe, "You're here?!"  "You?!!"  "No way!"  It was truly the coolest experience.  Some people had driven a couple hours to come.  I still had a headache, but it became one of the most amazing experiences. 

As I calmed down and went around my fully decorated house with tables of food and drinks, I was so touched by what my daughters and sisters had pulled off.  It became such a great day.  I could never have organized it and would never have known to ask for it or plan it, but if I could have it would have been something just like this.  My sister had each woman there say a short word that made them think of me and if only I had a recording of the thoughtful words that were said.  I told them later that so many don't get to hear those words because they are often said at a funeral and the person who is gone never gets to hear them!  I was so blessed to hear such kind things while still alive!

Am I still mad that they didn't listen to me, no I'm so glad they didn't listen to me.  The real day is yet to come later this week, but now I won't live in stress and fear about any surprise....I've already had my socks knocked off. 

1 comment:

  1. There would have been a lot more friends and family there if they could have -to overflowing. But enough were there to help send a loving, affirming message of love and friendship to last, well at least another 10 years.(: Took a team who loved making this happen, Y O U A R E L O V E D !!

    ReplyDelete