Tuesday 31 May 2022

A Sign Over My Head and Heading to Cali

I must have a sign over my head.  I'm guessing it reads something like this, "Come talk to me if you have kids or if you want to talk about being a mom or if you want to talk about homeschooling or if you want to talk about anything related to any of those things because I love talking about those things."  It just keeps happening to me and I love it soooo much!

This past weekend I was at a ladies' conference at our church.  At the end of one of the talks a young mom came up to me and smiled and because I thought I should know her I smiled back like we were long lost friends and asked, "Remind me how I know you?"  and she said, "You don't!"  She went on to explain how she had heard me speak at the homeschool conference and how it had encouraged her, which is great, because that was the name of the talk, and so we had a great conversation and are planning to connect after the wedding.  The next day, same thing, this time a mom I did know, but I didn't know she had been at the conference.  We, also had a great conversation and she will also come over after the wedding.  Then the next day, I was at church and another mom came over to me.  This time I just assumed she had heard me at the conference, but she hadn't as she just has small children and she introduced herself and said her name and then said, "I know you don't know me but would you be interested in getting together to talk about motherhood?"  I laughed out loud, "Of course!"  I told her, "I must have a sign above my head that says how I love talking about those things."  She had just read a book about being a productive mom and how you need to seek out the older moms in the church and talk to them.  Jen Wilkin had also said that at the conference how we need to be church moms, not just rely on her for our teaching.  This is something I've always thought so was so glad she had said that.  I want to be a church mom and not because I have it all together, but because I remember what it was like when I was younger and looking for wisdom.  No one was offering, I had to seek it out, so I want to make that available to other moms who might be struggling.  

Then yesterday I was on a hike with the co-op I'm involved with and I suddenly saw a mom I had met at a park literally a year ago today.  I couldn't believe how I was running into her again.  When I had met her a year ago I had been out with my two youngest boys at a lake and she and I just starting chatting as she had a little girl.  Who knows how, but the subject of homeschooling came up, probably because she couldn't understand how I could be out with my boys in the middle of the day.  She had always wondered about homeschooling, but wasn't sure about it and had lots of questions.  After that we exchanged information, but didn't really connect much.  When I saw her yesterday I was shocked to find out she was now homeschooling!  Apparently after our chat it gave her the courage to go for it!  You just never know how you'll impact someone without even realizing it!  We talked some more yesterday and she found out about the Classical Conversations co-op I'm in and well, the rest is history - she's ready to sign up!  So funny.  

You know you are doing what you should be doing when weeks like this one happen.  It is so fun for me to chat with other moms.  Nothing could feel more meaningful or fulfilling than that.  It makes all those years with the young children worth it as I can share some of my experiences with these other moms.  I saw another young mom with 4 children under 5 or 6 yesterday and I felt tired just watching her.  I wanted to tell her to keep going, to hang in there, to not worry, that she'll make it....if I could do that full-time I would.  I often pray that God will use me and that He'll give me opportunities, but then I forget I've prayed that and then days like these happen and later that day I'll just sit back in awe of what God has just orchestrated that I could never have done.  So amazing.

We are now only 10 days away from the big day.  What a test for me as I wait for the last minute stuff to be done.  So hard for me to trust and keep my mouth shut.  All of it is on my husband's shoulders.  I can do laundry and meal planning but not much else as everything else requires him to be involved.  I can pray and that's about it.

Meanwhile, in other completely unrelated events.....my son just found out he's going to California! He submitted a video of all his crazy flips and twists on the trampoline and he got in!  I CANNOT BELIEVE IT and neither can he.  He is completely self-taught and has never attended a gymnastics class in his life.  He has never been to an editing class either and somehow learned how to put all that together to make the great video.  I'm so impressed.  As Providence would have it, my husband and mother-in-law needed to go out west to California anyway to see his uncle, so it all works out and now that my husband is retired, he can basically do whatever he wants, so off he'll go with my son to the two-day competition in San Diego and then hang out with his uncle for a few days, maybe even check out a few sights while he's out there.  How cool is that?!  He's so excited.  We all are as my son has had a rough go with covid and has felt down a lot with the isolation and lack of friendships during that really critical time of his life.  Yet, he used the trampoline to get him outside nearly every day and he started connecting with another friend nearby who is also going to the competition.  Then he started working out with his brother and he had determined to overcome his weaknesses.  As we prayed and prayed for this young man, God was faithful.  He stuck with Bible quizzing, even though it wasn't "cool".  He memorized more than anyone on the team, this included all of Romans and James this past year.  He forced himself to make friends at the last quiz meet, even though that is very difficult for him.  He stayed faithful with the animals on the farm.  This is such a testimony to the power of prayer.  At the last quiz meet he got an award called "perfect day" and it really was.  Perfect day meant he didn't get a single answer wrong all day and got the highest marks you can get.  Only 3 out of 100 were awarded that award that day.  So great for him and reminds him how his diligence was rewarded.  He got in on the Friday, same day as the quiz meet and won the award the next day, so I would definitely call it a "Perfect Day/Weekend"!  All of us were praying for that miracle and I'm just so grateful to God for allowing him that blessing.  The only thing that could make it better would be if I could go, but alas, that is not in the works.  Again, I write all this down because it is soooooo great to look back and read these stories later.  I just love how God met my son right where he is at - flipping and quizzing.  I've always said, God speaks to us in our language.  I hope my son will always remember this.































No comments:

Post a Comment