Thursday 17 November 2022

Dedicated to Dedicating

Today I'm letting my 16 year old "sleep in"....until 7:30.  Normally, he's been getting up at 5:30 each morning.  I get up at 5 (or earlier if it's a co-op day), just so I can get my coffee in and reading.  A couple of weeks ago we started a new habit - going to the gym.  I've been working out at home for years since we stopped going to the Y in Oakville 3 kids ago.  Since then it has never been a possibility.  The older boys all got memberships and I just couldn't see how I could fit it into my day or the cost,  but now I've made it a priority and we're trusting God to provide as I attempt good health!  It's also been a fun way to hang out with J every morning.

The gym is really close, but it's enough time to hang out for a few minutes there and back as I drive him to school afterwards as well.  Teen boys are challenging enough, and he's already not much of a talker, so I have to really work at it.  I'm grateful for this unique time in our lives.

We continue to marvel at how God has provided for us as the weather has turned colder.  October was amazing weather and we saw regular customers almost daily.  November was ok for a bit, but then slowed right down.  However, RM came up with a plan by doing these stained glass classes and they are a hit.  The one-day classes for Christmas ornaments filled up almost right away and the other classes get daily sign ups.  This brings immediate income and also potentially more as each customer potentially buys wine from us when they come.  I'm praying one or more of the customers will also consider using us as their corporate wine gift this Christmas.

Last night RM said he never would have imagined that he'd be making money from stained glass, yet there he is.  So amazing.  Such an answer to prayer.  Also, when it got colder, we were both wondering how we'd get people to come by and suddenly the hay sales started up again.  What hay?  Hay from 2 summers ago that we couldn't sell!  What if we'd sold it then?  We had been worried that it wasn't going to sell and that we'd get stuck with all this hay, but now, of course, we see how God knew we would need that hay to be available for sale right now.  So when the wine sales went down, the hay sales miraculously went up!  It's been amazing to watch how food keeps going in the fridge and how there's money to pay for it without a cheque from the college.  We still can't believe it.

Nearly every night we watch Airstream renovation videos.  I find them very boring, but my husband eats them up.  My 16 year old who initially didn't seem interested starting watching them, too, and now I'm praying this project will give him new skills.

I keep reading through 2 Chronicles.  It follows our whole life story.  David helped his son prepare for the temple building, got all the supplies, rejoiced at the willingness of the people and had a bit of a pre-grand opening celebration.  After he died, Solomon called everyone together, worshiped in preparation of the build, asked for wisdom, started up some businesses, got some skilled men and the building was complete in 3 chapters.  Then, he, too, had a Grand Opening/Dedication celebration.  I had never noticed these verses before because I had never had a Grand Opening, but now I'm noticing because of the place in our lives.  Solomon then gathered his assembly, which I always read as "his family", the Israelites, and he had a worship time, of "praise and thanksgiving to the Lord" saying, "for he is good. for his steadfast love endures forever".  And the "house, the house of the Lord (I really love that it is included what kind of house) was filled with a cloud, so that the priest could not stand to minister because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled the house of God".  This is my prayer.  I just want the glory of the Lord to fill our house, our property, our businesses and that it'll be obvious to everyone - like a cloud.  We've actually had fog here recently so thick you can't see a few feet in front of you.  That's what I'm talking about.

Then Solomon kept going and stood on a platform he had built.  He "spread out his hands" and "then he knelt on his knees in the presence of all the assembly and spread out his hands towards heaven" and prayed a prayer of dedication, speaking of who God is, "God of Israel".  He says, maybe to remind those listening, "there is no God like you, in heaven or earth, keeping covenant and showing steadfast love to your servants who walk before you with all their heart....."  Isn't that what we feel, too?  We say out loud, "You are the God who keeps His promises to us, showing constant steadfast love."  He adds this condition, "if only your sons pay close attention to their way, to walk in my law as you have walked before me."  So, what could I do, except respond the same way?

I only have the 3 youngest with me now at home - SO WEIRD - I said to them, "Let's do the same thing!"  I'm sure my kids had a core memory made that day.  We all got on our knees, spread out our hands towards heaven and then we all prayed a prayer of dedication, dedicating our lives, ourselves, our businesses, the winery, the stained glass, the AirBnBs, the farm, our homeschool, everything.  It was actually kind of special.  Our arms were sore afterwards, even though we only prayed for a couple minutes.  How did Solomon pray for a whole chapter!

We chatted last night about it and decided we should probably do that again with the whole family, having a prayer of dedication for all these things, but really we are doing this every day.

I'm still marveling at all that God is doing in our kids' lives.  My son, who waited so long for a job, is now loving his new job working as a tech in the eye surgeon's clinic.  After years of working in the winter in a wetsuit in the water with whales in below zero weather, he's sooooooo happy to be warm, talking with senior citizens, taking their eye measurements, just loving his life.  He got another mark back yesterday on a different exam and he scored in the highest quartile, so he has a better chance at med school this year.....but we won't hold our breath just yet.  He'll hear in January if he gets an interview.  It's coming up!  I'm just grateful he's finally getting a break after struggling so much.  

We also have comic relief back in our life with two cats in our home.  They chase each other all day and we laugh and laugh.  One is getting neutered today so he won't be laughing much today, but it is a funny life.

The winery still demands our time and it is getting cold - so much still left to do and I feel like spring is around the corner!  Time won't slow down!

Parents and brother/sister-in-law are moving very soon out our way - it's just such a busy time!  But so fun and fulfilling.  Thanking God for his steadfast love to us.





1 comment:

  1. Amazing how God is at work ! Why should we be surprised but surely is encouraging to read your report in the big and small detail-praise God from whom all blessings flow AND for you, your family’s lightening Rod.

    ReplyDelete