Friday 5 June 2015

I Won't Waste This Opportunity! I Guarantee.....

"A calf is being born!  A calf is being born!" I heard being yelled by kids all over the house.  I started yelling it, too, "A calf is being born!"  I wanted to make sure that no one missed this!  By the time I go outside by the cow in labour, she was lying down, clearly having just had a contraction.  All the kids were already there except for a couple on a walk.  Even Grandpa happened to be there by complete coincidence. 

As soon as the cow got up, I started to feel awful.  Now it was as if I was in labour!  I couldn't watch.  Every painful move she made started to make me feel like I was about to deliver a calf!  She would moo and writhe around.  I had to leave.  So I did.  But then a few minutes later, I thought to myself, "No, I can handle this.  I've got to go witness this amazing opportunity!"  So back out I went, but sadly, she had just given birth.  I had seen her probably at transition, during her worst time in the labour, which explains why I had to leave. 

At first I wasn't sure if what I was seeing was what I was seeing, as there was just a blob of brown on the grass, not moving, but sure enough, it was the calf.  It had literally just been born seconds earlier.  The mommy cow was just starting to lick it clean.  The greatest thing was, though I had missed it, my kids hadn't.  Most of them were there when she gave birth, including the one who wants to be a vet, so another great experience for him.

There is a line from a song in the new Annie movie, "My Opportunity" where she sings about the special opportunity that she was given.  She says something like this, "You're witnessing my opportunity, I won't waste it, I guarantee."  I know it's just a movie, but this song always brings tears to my eyes.  I told my husband the reason I get choked up is because I know we have a unique opportunity by living here on the farm.  I know it is a gift.  Being able to stop what we were doing yesterday and all run out and witness the calf's birth was one of those opportunities.  I know having these 8 children is another unique opportunity.  Having my husband around everyday is also a very special opportunity.  When I hear the words in that song, the many opportunities I have always are brought to my mind and I'm struck by the words, "I won't waste it!"  It makes me thank the Lord for His goodness to us and I know we are not supposed to waste His gifts to us.  We are to use this farm to His glory.  Is it cheesy to be struck that way by a silly film?  Perhaps, but music can do that in a way you don't expect.

I am seriously going to try to start posting pictures as I have so many I could include.  I just need a little training as I'm rather computer illiterate, so stay tuned.....

No comments:

Post a Comment