Wednesday 15 July 2015

God is Our Strong Tower - a Test

I had just said to my husband two days earlier, "I wish we could hear another motivational speaker on finances."  It had been so great when Barry Cameron had been in town from Texas to give his talk on financial freedom.  We had loved reading Dave Ramsey's book on getting out of debt or listening to him every day on the radio.  Each time we had heard or read from these guys, it gave us that little boost we needed to keep going.  We needed another boost, I felt.  That's why I made that comment.

Then we walked into church on Sunday morning and the pastor said, "Today we will be talking about finances from the book of Proverbs."  No way!  So we got our motivational talk after all, from God.  The visiting pastor even had an American accent like the other two financial gurus we love, so it felt like we were listening to one of them.  Proverbs says it all.  Everything we already knew, but it was good to hear it again.

In short, we can't make the pursuit of money our strong tower.  God is our strong tower, 18:11, "The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous runs into it and is safe.  A rich man's wealth is his strong city and like a high wall in his imagination."  We think our money will protect us, but it can't.  And, almost to prove my point, I got a call from my sister the next day saying she had been robbed.  I couldn't believe my ears.  They had been away for a week and came back to their house been completely ransacked from top to bottom.  Everything electronic was taken, all my sister's jewellery and who knows what else.  Such a terrible experience to come back to.  The verse certainly came to life all of a sudden.  I thank God that my sister and her husband already knew where their strong tower was, that it wasn't in anything they owned.  Because of this they are walking around in complete peace even though their material possessions and their world as they knew it has been turned upside down temporarily.  They've been able to handle this new situation with calmness of heart as they know you can't take any of those things with you to heaven anyway.  God is their strong tower and this situation has proven it which is why they find themselves safe. 

Wow, talk about God's Word coming to life.  The pastor said many more things that we've all been meditating on all week.  My favourite line has been, "The wise are not confused about wealth."  We really have no reason to suffer from confusion about our money if we read Proverbs.  We can't be confused!  So much more to say, but a three year old has woken up....... more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment