Wednesday 2 March 2016

Courage to Pray as David Prayed

David had a plan.  He wanted to build the Lord a house.  He saw that he had a house.  How is it that the Lord would not have a house, but only a tent?  Nathan gave him the go ahead, until the Lord intervened and said, "No."

I get plans.  I get ideas.  I have all sorts of thoughts in my head that I think would give the Lord glory.  Yes, of course, sometimes, if not most of the time, they are somewhat selfishly motivated, but a lot of my ideas are things that I think God would want, in my life, in my family's life.....but then, things don't seem to go as I think.  It doesn't seem to be God's will for my life and I'm shocked! 

A silly example, but I've always wanted twins.  Every single pregnancy I've longed for twins.  I hear a lot of moms say this for some reason.  I don't know why we all want twins so badly.  We must have an ideal in our minds that makes us think twins would be "so fun" or "so cute" or who knows, but I've never had twins!  God has said, "No."  I can only assume He knows what is best for me even though in my mind I had a better idea for my life.  Clearly this is not on the same level as building a house for God, but it goes to show how we can plan and dream, thinking these are good things, but God has other plans and dreams for us.

God was gentle in His response to David.  He didn't get angry, but He did show Him he was thinking in merely human terms, not in heavenly, eternal ways.  How could he?  So God shows him that His ways are not our ways, "I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up the people of Israel from Egypt to this day, but I have been moving about in a tent for my dwelling.  In all the places where I have moved with all the people of Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people of Israel, saying, 'Why have you not built me a house of cedar?'" (2 Sam 5:6,7)  In other words, "Good idea, David, but I've never needed a house all these years, why now?"

Then, there is a change in the direction of the message from God.  He stops talking about the house David wanted to build for Him and reminds him of how He has always been with him.  "I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince over my people Israel.  And I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off all your enemies from before you."

How similar it is when I look back over my life.  He's taken me "from the pasture, from following the sheep."  He's always been with me, wherever I've gone.  I don't think He says these things to dismiss David's good ideas and his well-meaning intentions, but to remind him that He is sovereign.  He's been sovereignly directing David's life all along.  He will sovereignly direct a home for Himself, too.  My plans for my life are well-intentioned, but I cannot step ahead of God and assume I know better what I need, such as a debt-free life, though I do think that would be awesome!  God has sovereignly been directing my life all along and if and when He thinks that will give Him glory, than it will happen.  If not, I need to reflect and look back on how He has been guiding me all along the way and see that He has never left me, even in a place that I think is dark, He is still here!

David responds with gratitude.  "Who am I, Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far?  And this was a small thing if your eyes, O Lord God.  You have spoken also of your servant's house for a great while to come, and this is instruction for mankind, O Lord God!  And what more can David say to you?  For you know your servant, O Lord God!"  (2 Sam. 7:19, 20)

I have to respond the exact same way, "Who am I?  You have done so much for me!"  He has done so much for me, brought me so far.  My plans and thoughts are small things in His eyes, like having twins (silly!  God could have easily done that!) or sent a huge contract to eliminate our debt (so easy in God's eyes!).  He could grant all my "small things" in a heartbeat if He wanted to.  It isn't that He's incapable, it's that He knows what is best and what timing is best, "for a great while to come".  He knows the future.  He knows what is best for my house and family and this is "instruction for mankind".  In other words, God's message to David was God's message to me.  I cannot question Him or His timing, because, just like David, "you know your servant".  He knows me better than I know myself.  Thank goodness that I am not God.  I would make a lot of bad decisions I think, mostly self-serving.....

David relents.  He surrenders.  He recommits his way to the Lord.  This takes courage.  "Therefore your servant has found courage to pray this prayer to you."  At first I thought he was referring to the courage it required to tell the Lord he wanted to build Him a house.  But then, as I reread David's response, I realized it could be referring to the courage it took to let go of his plans and his dreams.  I can say I've surrendered, but then I take my dreams back into my own hands.  Give me the courage to "pray this prayer to you."  David's house was blessed only because God chose to bless it.  David remained obedient during this time and I think that contributed to God's blessing.  I must remain obedient whether or not God chooses to bless me and my household.  And, on that note, define "blessing".  Pain, darkness....these can be blessings, so I have to be careful that I'm not defining blessings the wrong way. 

This passage has two words that jumped out at me.  He asks God to "confirm" His word to him and then he thanks Him for His "revelation".  These are things I will continue to pray.  I pray God will "confirm" our thoughts and dreams.  We don't want to move ahead in our own strength and wisdom.  And I will pray for His specific "revelation", through His Word, through others, whatever way He chooses to reveal His will for us.  We don't have Nathan the prophet living anywhere nearby, but we have His Word and the Holy Spirit. 

This passage is full of thanksgiving and gratitude.  I will continue to thank Him for what I do know and all that He has done.  I'm so grateful this prayer was included in the Bible.  It shows us how to respond when God has a different plan for our life compared to the one we had in mind.  We must respond with gratitude as David did.

1 comment:

  1. SOOOOO well said, my dear. Love, Prayers, Blessings ongoing.....ox

    ReplyDelete