Tuesday 1 March 2016

"Get Out of Debt" Award Goes to........

Forget the Oscars.  I think there should be a different kind of Awards Show.  The "Get Out of Debt" Awards Show.  If there ever is such a show, I'm pretty sure we would win in the category of "Most Creative Approach"  or "Weirdest Ideas" or "Most Unlikely Debt-Free Idea"..... Over the last few years we have done some really funny things from building entire houses to buying and selling sports cars to fixing up and reselling music equipment.....Sometimes I think my husband's ideas are a little unusual and we don't always see the money right away so it does make me have to be on the patient side.  This is why I always tell him I am the perfect wife for him, just in case he didn't know already.

I read a verse today that jumped out at me that perhaps it is ok to do things a little differently.  David is now king and is still fighting debt, oh, I mean the Philistines (will the debt/Philistines ever leave us/him alone?????)  Seems to be a constant in his life.  I can kind of relate.  Anyway, as usual, he asks God what he should do.  Another great pattern in Scripture that tells me I should be doing the same.  Each time God answers him after he asks, "Shall I go up here or shall I go up there?  Which way should I go?"  One time after he asked, the Lord responded, "You shall no go up; go around to their rear, and come against them opposite the balsam trees."  (2 Sam. 5:22)  This time it was a completely different approach.  Usually the Lord would say, "Go up."  Not this time.  You shall not go up.  Do it a different way, from the opposite approach that you would expect.

I found this verse jumping out at me as we do all these weird and whacky things that sometimes seem fruitless.  It's ok to go about things a little differently.  This approach took the Philistines off guard.  They weren't expecting it and sure enough, because David "did as the Lord commanded him", he was successful and "struck down the Philistines".  I'm quite convinced that all these things we do are ideas from God as each thing we do which seems a little different to me is actually a fantastic use of RM's many skills.  Building the house used his construction background.  Fixing cars used his mechanical abilities.  Selling musical equipment brings out his music skills.  The interesting thing is that each time he takes on a project, it isn't something that is difficult for him as he enjoys all of these areas, building, fixing, music.  On top of it all, he gets to teach our children these skills as well.  How else would he be able to pass on these skills?  I doubt we would say, "Ok kids, today we're going to learn construction? or all about cars? or musical instruments?"  Having a purpose or a project has actually been the best way to teach them.

So this makes me excited as I realize God is using even these bizarre projects that we take on to His glory.  He's allowing RM to teach and disciple his kids through these unique opportunities that we create.  The kids are learning to be incredibly resourceful and at the same time they are learning to never be afraid or intimidated to try something new.  That is one skill that RM's parents instilled in him that I love.  He has always approached life with the idea that if someone else can do something that seems incredibly hard, why can't he do it, too?  It's not arrogance speaking, it's a inward confidence that comes from realizing you can learn anything you set your mind to if you are willing to work hard at it.  That is another thing I really hope my kids can get out of this whole process.

I'm curious what the next whacky idea will be....probably building a plane.  We would win awards for that for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment