Thursday 9 June 2016

Making Known His Deeds

I read today that we are to "make known his deeds among the peoples", and we've had a few "deeds" this week!

I never enjoy when my husband is gone for a day let alone a week, so I was not looking forward to him being gone so long, but I resolved to not dread and committed my week to the Lord, planned a few things to do and the week has flown by without too much lovesickness.

It began with an angelic visit on Monday with my grocery angel.  Mom stopped in and we had a great catch up and one of the things that she has done for years is to always bring along just what we need grocery-wise.  She's gotten to know all the kids favourite things and she never disappoints....they love discovering all the little treats that are snuck in between the healthy food.

The next day was followed by a visit with a new friend and her family.  Very fun and I thought that would be it for the day, but then my sister made an impromptu visit that afternoon.  She walked in and usually I offer her a coffee or tea.  Suddenly her eyes lit up and right around the same time, we both looked at each other with mischievous eyes, "Wanna go out?!"  The beauty of having older children around kicked in.  We literally ran into the other room and said to my older kids, "Uh, we're taking off for a bit....watch the kids."  WHAT?!  This couldn't be happening.  So off we went down the street where a lovely winery just happens to be situated.  Now, truth be known, my poor sister did need to do a little gift shopping, so we really needed to get out.....that helped us with our justification anyway......

After we finished our shopping, we thought, we can't go home yet!  So I suggested I show her around the block, where it just so happens, more wineries exist....It is such a beautiful location, view of the lake, vineyards....it was a breezy sunny day.  How could we resist????  We were enjoying ourselves so much and we were less than 5 minutes away from my house.  We'd never done anything like this before, so fun!  We stopped and had a lovely beverage on the patio, talked our faces off, and then sadly, did go home, but not without taking a photo to send to our other sister telling her how much we missed her and wished she were there!!!!  Our kids looked at us when we got home and wondered what in the world we were up to.  We always tell them they can do that when they are in their 40s.

The next day was Wednesday.   I enjoyed another visit with my prayer partner (I'm sure those prayers we pray are what get us through our weeks!)  The afternoon brought a sense of half-dread and curiosity.  A trip to the dentist.  We were in the transition stage of switching dentists from our dentist far away to one more local.  I interviewed many dentists in the last year trying to find one that would take pity on our large family and would be somehow willing to give a discount (as if that exists).  In the course of the year, I met a dentist that actually did offer discounts for those without insurance.  He apparently has many clients with large families and he understands the extra costs that come with our family size.  I sensed, "This is the guy for us."

Yesterday I was taking my two youngest, for the first time, who have had teeth injuries due to falls, one at 12 months old and one a couple of weeks ago.  We've had so many expenses lately in life, that dentistry was looooow on the list of priorities.  So I have been encouraging the kids for years now to do awesome cleanings on their own.  The dentist was so impressed with how clean their teeth were that he couldn't bring himself to charge us full price for the cleanings!!!!  Who does that!?  He took an additional discount off for our our large family and I walked away amazed at what our bill was compared to our last dentist.  Oh how I wish I had changed years ago!!!!

The dentist was fascinated by our story on top of it all and wondered all about us.  I got interviewed in the process, too.   I wouldn't be surprised if we become friends and end up doing barbecues!  One of the greatest comments he made was about our two little boys.  All homeschoolers are accused of not socializing their children, how we shelter and isolate them.  He didn't know we homeschooled and one of the first things he said, which I should have had him write down, was, "Your kids seem highly social"!!!!!!!!  The ultimate compliment for a homeschooler.  He got quite a kick out of their personalities.

Meanwhile, my husband and I were chatting throughout the week and he shared with me about the unexpected blessing on his trip of not having to pay any additional money for food.  Somehow, without knowing it, he had found a hotel that wasn't too expensive, but it included every single meal, even a couple of glasses of wine.  He had budgeted a fair amount for meals and then didn't have to spend anything!  That was a huge blessing on top of it all.

Today my kids will spend the day prepping for what is called "Showcase" where they will display their year's top projects, art, writing, etc.   The older kids will sing a worship song together as their "talent".  It should be another great day.

The week will be topped off by a ladies retreat where I will get to hear a very gifted speaker, Jen Wilkin, who wrote Women of the Word.  I've studied her book and look so forward to hearing her. The blessing here is that this was a gift to me.  I never would have been able to go, but a very kind and generous friend said, "Hey, I want you to be there.  I'm paying."  Do you see what I mean?  The deeds of the Lord - I just keep seeing His tremendous blessings in my life.  They truly are "wondrous works", "His miracles", "marvelous works".   1 Chronicles 16 has these phrases written down.  I am to "sing to Him, sing praises to Him; tell of all His wondrous works!"  I am also to "Remember the wondrous works that He has done, His miracles and the judgments He uttered."

Later in the chapter, David says, "Sing to the Lord, all the earth!  Tell of His salvation from day to day."  That is why I had to write it down.  I experienced His salvation this week, from day to day. Every day, He showed me Himself through blessings like special visitors, unexpected financial gifts, lower bills than anticipated, new friendships, sister fellowship, beautiful sunshine, new dentist relationships, even my husband was amazed at how he was blessed through his hotel!  I know rain can be a blessing, too, but this week was sunshine.  I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment