Thursday 4 August 2016

Fearless

One of my all-time favourite stories in the Bible has to be in 2 Chronicles 20.   It's the story of Jehoshaphat.

"After this the Moabites and Ammonites, and with them some of the Meunites, came against Jehoshaphat for battle." (vs. 1)

Seems like a tiny little verse, but it is packed.  The two words "after this" make it sound like it was completely normal for a few countries to come against somebody.  But it wasn't normal!  No one liked a few countries coming against them!  What does the "after this" refer to?  Is there a connection?  It's interesting to note, Jehoshaphat had just finished making some major reforms in his kingdom.  In the chapter before it says he "brought them back to the Lord, the God of their fathers." He also "appointed certain Levites and priest and heads of families of Israel, to give judgment for the Lord and to decide disputed cases."  That was important because he wanted the people to treat one another well, to have the fear of the Lord, to be faithful, to be upright (all words from Ch. 19).  So he had made some big reforms.  He had "set his heart to seek God", it says in 19:3.

Generally speaking, when someone starts living for the Lord, a major test should be expected.  They are naturally a target for the enemy because they are a threat.  Sure enough, Jehoshaphat is tested, too. He was told, "A great multitude is coming against you from Edom, from beyond the sea; and, behold, they are in Hazazon-tamar (that is Engedi)" (20:2).  I don't have a Bible atlas in front of me, but I picture that they guys talking to Jehoshaphat were saying, "They came from far away, BUT, they are AROUND THE CORNER!!!!  RUNNNNNN!!!!"

I appreciate Jehoshaphat's response so much.  He was afraid.  Maybe he was terrified.  The Bible downplays it a bit, but says this, "Jehoshaphat was afraid..."  Here, however, is where his response of fear differs from most.  It says he was afraid yet instead of freaking out (which would be most people's response), in the same phrase, very calmly and casually and perhaps even naturally, he "set his face to seek the Lord...."  In addition to this, as the verse isn't done yet, it quickly adds on "and proclaimed a fast throughout all Judah". (vs. 3)  This is just not the normal response we see when something awful is about to happen.  Fear - normal response.  Setting our eyes on the Lord - sometimes, maybe after we freak out.  Fasting?  Almost never.  Yet I think we've been just shown that should be the pattern.

Jehoshaphat continues to model the right response as the chapter continues.  He stood amongst "the assembly of Judah and Jerusalem, in the house of the Lord, before the new court..." (vs. 5)  Then he cries out to God, in front of everyone, speaking to the Lord, recalling all His works, who God is, "God in heaven", what He does, "You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations", repeating back to God His authority, "In your hand are power and might, so that none is able to withstand you." Perhaps Jehoshaphat, and even his people needed this reminding more than anyone.

He also tells of His faithfulness, how He had driven "out the inhabitants of this land before your people Israel".  He mentions how they had said in the past, that if disaster, the sword, judgment, pestilence, or famine would come upon them that they would "cry out to you in our affliction, and you will hear and save." (vs. 9).

After speaking of all that they had said God would do and all they had said they would do, it ends with Jehoshaphat begging God, "O our God, will you not execute judgement on them?  For we are powerless against this great horde that is coming against us."

Then, my favourite phrase I think in all of the Bible is said, "We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on you."  That has to be one of the greatest lines in Scripture.  Doesn't it sum up what most of us feel?  Most of the time, we just don't know what to do, but as Christians all we have is God, so we keep our eyes on Him.

Jehoshaphat models how we can simply and honestly talk to God.  We can recall His works, all that He has done in the past (this is more for us, than for God, of course, but it helps us remember how He has been faithful).  We can speak of His character, His attributes.  This, too, is for us, as it is good to remember He is not like us.  He is God!  Not a human, by any stretch.  It is also good to be really honest with Him and tell Him our requests, even if they seem like huge requests.  God can take it. Finally, in our honesty, we can admit, we just can't do it on our own and we, quite frankly, just don't know what to do.  Yet, we know our dependence is on God.

All of Judah was there at that moment, all of "their little ones, their wives, and their children".  No babies were kept at home or put in the nursery.  They, too, were there, standing "before the Lord", it says (vs. 13).  Why is that mentioned?  I think it shows that they were supposed to be a part of what God was about to do.

Then, Zechariah, heard from the Lord, "Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed at this great horde, for the battle is not yours but God's...You will not need to fight in this battle.  Stand firm, hold your position, and see the salvation of the Lord on your behalf, O Judah and Jerusalem.  Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed.  Tomorrow go out against them and the Lord will be with you." (16, 17)

We are, also, to not be afraid or dismayed.  The battle isn't our's, but God's.  We must stand firm, hold our position and watch for His salvation.  In case we were unclear about this, it is repeated, "Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed.  We are so easily made afraid and dismayed.  God knows this and so He says it twice - don't be!!!!

After immediately bowing down and worshiping the Lord at this great word, the Levites, Kohathies, and Korahites, "stood up to praise the Lord, the God of Israel, with a very loud voice."  Put on worship music and sing....loudly.  We are to be in a constant state of praise and worship wherever we are. That's great evidence that my daughter is allowed to play loud music, I'll have to show that verse to my husband.....

The next morning, Jehoshaphat gave the people one last pep talk, "Hear me, Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem!  Believe in the Lord your God, and you will be established; believe in His prophets, and you will succeed."  Then, back to the loud worship music...."he appointed those who were to sing to the Lord and praise Him in holy attire".  They sang, "Give thanks to the Lord, for His steadfast love endures forever."  No fighting, just singing!  Sounds impossible.  But "when they began to sing and praise, the Lord set an ambush against the men of Ammon, Moab,andMout Sir, who had come against Judah, so that they were routed.....they all helped to destroy one another."  Crazy!  They turned on each other instead of attacking Judah.

Praising and worshiping God is the key to our success.  We must also believe in the Lord and His plans for us.  Can it really be that simple?  I think so.  Remaining faithful, not fearful.

I read this yesterday, then, later on that morning a friend came over to teach us how to make necklaces.  She needed to have more stock on hand for her craft shows and so was using my daughters to help her.  In return for the help she was giving them new skills and a couple of new necklaces as well.  I had on a necklace my daughter had given me for mother's day a couple of years ago, but sadly, one of the charms had fallen off.  I had loved that charm so much as it had said, "I love you" on it.  My friend said to me, "Oh, we can fix that.  I have some charms you could choose from and we'll just put it on right now."  I immediately saw the one I wanted.  It said, "Fearless".  I told her that was the lesson God was teaching me lately (not to mention that very morning!)  Within seconds, my necklace was new, with the word fearless hanging from my neck.  I walked around all day saying, "I'm fearless" to whoever would listen to me.  It was in my mind, "I'm fearless".  We still have no answers, but I'm fearless.  We aren't certain what our future holds, but I'm fearless.  We aren't sure what to do, but our eyes are on the Lord, and I'm fearless.  Fearless.

We can learn many lessons from Jehoshaphat.  We shouldn't be surprised when these armies come. At times fear does try to enter into our hearts and minds, but we continue to seek God and we are in the middle of a 40 day period of being more deliberate about that, including a fast of sorts.  Today, I will play loud worship music and I will march around my house thanking the Lord for His steadfast love and when the armies come against me, which they seem to try to do quite regularly, I will not be afraid.  I will wait and watch for the Lord to destroy them as He fights for me.  What a great story!

No comments:

Post a Comment