Wednesday 14 December 2016

Christmas in Isaiah

This winter, just like last year, one of my younger kids' favourite activities is being in the tub. Yesterday, as I pulled my 4 year old out of the tub, for what seems like the 100th time in the last few days, and dried him off, I noticed how adorable he is and told him, "You are SOOOOOOO cute!" Then, I added proudly, partly to him and partly to myself, "I make cute kids!"

He looked at me with a cocked head, "Mom, God created me, not you."

Harumph! He sure put me in my place!

But, what he said was true and all week I've seen that truth worked out.  God is in control of my life, not me, if I were to ever dare take credit for the good things that happen or dare to blame Him when things aren't going as I would like.

I've been reading in Isaiah this week, partly because of the sermon I heard on Sunday and also because of a devotional passage I was directed to.   What a great book to read at Christmas as it is full of the prophesies of Christ's coming.  But what I love most is the constant theme of how the coming Redeemer will be a bond breaker, freeing the oppressed.  That theme has been so encouraging as I know of another friend whose husband is struggling deeply emotional, mentally and even physically. This book is full of encouragement and hope for her.  Or for my children, who wonder about their future, their education, will they marry....What about us, with our church situation, or future employment, or future financial freedom, or even a car....!  Yet this book sits right there, as an amazing reminder to have hope.

Isaiah 9 has the classic passage we all know and read this time of year...

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace..." (Isaiah 9:6)

I have read that passage many times, seen it on many Christmas cards, but I have never seen it read at Christmas in its context.  The chapter before, particularly verse 11-22, are strikingly opposite.

Chapter 8:11 begins with a warning, "For the Lord spoke thus to me with His strong hand upon me, and warned me not to walk in the way of this people..."

And what is the "way of this people"?  It goes on to say, "Do not call conspiracy all that this people calls conspiracy, and do not fear what they fear, nor be in dread.  But the Lord of hosts, Him you shall honour as holy.  Let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread."

So, the "way of the people" seems to be seeing everything as a conspiracy, being fearful and full of dread.  I've written about that before and my new favourite phrase is, "no fear, no panic, no dread". That seems to be the pattern written again here.  No fear, no dread and, a new phrase....stop seeing things as a conspiracy!  Satan wants us to turn against each other in these church crises and to see everything as a conspiracy.  What we need to do instead is to fear God and let Him be our dread. The "way of the people" is also another great reminder to not get caught up this time of year in the way the world celebrates December 25th.  It is absolutely nuts out there!  I'm so glad we pulled back a few years ago.  I would never be sane if I kept doing things the way I had been.

"He will become a sanctuary and a stone of offense..."  He is where we need to go to for our safe place.  It may seem that He is hiding His face from us right now, but Isaiah says, wait for Him.  "I will wait for the Lord who his hiding His face from the house of Jacob, and I will hope in Him." (vs. 17)  It isn't easy to wait for the Lord, especially when He appears to be hiding His face.  It's easy to wait when we have "proof" He's working.  Not so easy when there is darkness.

The world would tell me to "inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter". (vs 18)  I certainly don't have anyone in my life who will direct me in that way, but we do need to be careful that we inquire of God first.  Isaiah says it quite simply, "should not a people inquire of their God?"  What a great question!  I think it is good to talk with other good Christian people, but we must take all things first to God.

Again, a warning, "If they will not speak according to this word, it is because they have no dawn." Dawn, the symbol of a new day, of light coming up out of the darkness. I love that word.  If there were no dawn, then we remain in darkness.  I want dawn!

If we do not inquire of the Lord and we seek our own methods of wisdom, not only will there not be dawn, it will be much worse than that, "They will pass through the land, greatly distressed and hungry.  And when they are hungry, they will be enraged and will speak contemptuously against their kind and their God, and turn their faces upwards.  And they will look to the earth, but behold, distress and darkness, the gloom of anguish.  And they will be thrust into thick darkness." (vs. 21, 22)

Isn't this the description of so many around us?  Greatly distressed and hungry, speaking contemptuously, enraged, full of gloom, in anguish, walking around in thick darkness.  Such a great description of life without God.  This doesn't just describe non-believers, but people who claim to be Christians, but who are not going to God for help, but to others who cannot get them out of their gloom.  How many people in our day are getting their anguish masked by meds.  That will give temporary relief, but not eternal relief.

This it the beautiful turning point, where, literally, a new chapter begins, "But there will be no gloom for her who was in anguish."

Suddenly, it's Christmas in Isaiah!

"The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light, those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, in them has light shone."  Wonderful light.  And not just for those who were sad, but for those who were in "deep darkness".  I picture a tunnel where it is such a long tunnel you can't even see the end.  We read of such a tunnel.  It was being built for the railroad.  The men who built the railroad came to a mountain that they couldn't go around, but had to blast through.  The men were in utter darkness for 4 years!  It was too long to come and go, in or out, day after day, so they just stayed in darkness.  Imagine the day they came out of the darkness into the light!

Then, the theme of of the yoke, the staff and the rod of the oppressor being broken...

"For the yoke of his burden, and the staff for his shoulder, and the rod of his oppressor, you have broken...."  Maybe it is describe in those 3 different ways to represent all the different types of oppression we have in our lives.  But Christ came to break whatever type of oppression or burden it is that we are carrying.

It is as this point we read that passage I wrote above, "For to us a child is born, to us a son is given." Praise God for Christmas!

How grateful I am for these passages.  Such fantastic reminders of the true meaning of Christmas. Jesus came to bring light, hope and to break the bonds that hold us captive.

No comments:

Post a Comment