Thursday 12 January 2017

Spiritual, Physical and Financial Detox 2017

January is a time for resolve and since we were a little lenient on the food intake in December, like we've done in the past, we've taken this month and perhaps longer to "detox" again.  RM and I are quite determined and we unbelievably cut out caffeine (he still has headaches!), sugar, wheat, and all things bad, really. I only had headaches for a couple of days.  I was drinking gallons of herbal tea which probably helped.   We always like to make these challenges spiritual ones as well, so as usual, we're praying during this detox time for freedom, wisdom for the future, for church, so many things.

I would never suggest anyone go into debt or any other trying situation to learn what God wants them to learn about life, faith, and money, but in our case, that is where we find ourselves.  Yet, I read in a book I'm reading right now, God doesn't "fix" our situations, He redeems them.  And that's what we're experiencing.  He hasn't "fixed" us the way we would have liked, or as fast as we would have liked, but He's taught us so much through the "redeeming".

I read, too, in Psalm 66,

"For you, O God, have tested us, you have tried us as silver is tried.  You brought us into the net; you laid a crushing burden on our backs; you let men ride over our heads, we went through fire and through water, yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance."

That's definitely been our experience - we've been tested and tried, felt like we were in a net with a crushing burden on our backs.  We've had the bankers riding over our heads, through fire and water......YET, we've been brought to a place of abundance, in so many ways, materially, spiritually, relationally.  We really can't complain.

I like to read books on finances, if you can imagine, or hear speakers on the topic of money and financial freedom.  I would have a daily meeting with a financial guy if I could.  I want to talk about it all the time!  But this January, I had run out of books and no speakers were in town, but I ended up getting a good friendly reminder from my bff cousin instead!  She and her husband keep meticulous records of their annual expenses.  They have done this from the beginning of their marriage.  Both had parents that set this trend and they were also inclined to do the same.  Very inspiring!  I have lots of excuses why this is a challenge for me.  But.....none of them really hold water, of course.  So this year, once again, I'll be resolving, to keep at it, to do my best, to try hard not to make excuses, to keep tracking expenses.  Yuck.  Not my forte.  But this year, my daughter is finally on board and will be doing the same.  That's exciting!  So with that accountability in the same house....we press on.

Psalm 69 says it best, "For the Lord hears the needy, and does not despise his own people who are prisoners."

1 comment:

  1. Nice work and all information about the enforcement that's are very amazing

    ReplyDelete