Monday 5 February 2018

Ah....Perspective

This morning my finger is still feeling not completely normal, slightly numb, as if it knows something happened and isn't too happy about it.  But other than that, I've made a full recovery from my "finger in a trap" incident, physically and emotionally.  The great thing about how God works is that He knew all this was going to happen and He had something in the works that would be just what I needed at just the right time.

RM had a conference he had to go to and weeks earlier he has asked me to tag along with him for a night away.  Once we found out that the hotel he was going to had a huge pool and waterslide, we decided to take the younger four.  We used to do that all the time with the older four, so it seemed only fair to try it with the little guys, too.  We upgraded the room to a family suite and away we went. Being the ever social person that I am, I called more than one friend who lived in the area and said, "Hey!  Come meet us at this pool!  We're there all day!"  RM was not exactly going to be hanging out with us, so I thought this might be a great way to spend the day while he was in his conference.

Turns out the timing of this little getaway was the day after the finger snap.  Perfect.  I didn't have to be in a farm house that eats fingers.  I could get away and eat at a restaurant where I didn't have to cook and be wary of traps.  I could sleep in a bed that I didn't have to make and take a shower in a bathroom I didn't have to clean.  I LOVED IT!!!!!!

On top of all this I was able to connect with a cousin I hadn't seen in a long time and we hung out by the pool for a nice visit while the kids played.  It was just what I needed.  Social interaction with people I love, not rodents.

I also met some really nice seniors by the pool.  They were observing our kids all day and when I went over to watch the kids closer we got into conversation.  They were so complimentary of our family and couldn't have been kinder.  They were like angels ministering to me in their own sweet way. 

The other bonus was I also met another lady at the pool who quickly put everything into perspective. She wasn't there at the pool with her child because she was on holiday.  She was there because there wasn't room in Ronald McDonald House where families with sick children stay.  Her child had been taken into the hospital in critical condition.  His liver or kidney was shutting down and he was not doing well at all at just 10 months old.  She went on to say how she had 4 other children and she had no idea how she was going to get back and forth the following few days and weeks because the gas cost and the accommodation issue.  And I just had a sore finger.  I needed to meet her and hear her story.  I was able to share with her some churches that could potentially help and then told her our family would be praying.  Just like that she was gone.  Potentially another angel?  But just ministering to me in a different way?  Putting things in perspective real quick that my life is great and a sore finger is nothing in the big picture.

Even the cousin who was able to pop in for a visit wasn't there just to see me.  She was there because her mom who is my mom's age was also at the same hospital for serious cancer treatment.  It wasn't looking so good.  More perspective?

I came back from the night away refreshed in so many ways.  I had had good food, good conversation, a wonderful time with my kids and husband, new friends and old friends, but I had also been reminded that my life isn't so hard.  There are others who are struggling way more than I am.  My greatest complaint is a tiny finger that is well on its way to recovery.  I don't even have as black a nail as I thought I would!  No proof!  Nothing to make people feel sorry for me anymore!!!

Once we got back home, I felt great, but I wasn't quite ready to get right back into school.  I kind of wished I could say "School's out in Februrary!"  But I knew I couldn't do that, so I was determined to keep going anyway.  But then, my little holiday got extended......my kids all got sick!  I know this sounds awful to say, but sick kids can be such a blessing!  The younger 3 all got colds and flu and were miserable with fevers, headaches, sore throats.  The little boys slept all day!  I knew it wasn't serious, so I just gave them all the remedies I could think of and went to work on cleaning the house!  It was another nice break for me that, dare I say, felt like a holiday, too!  I wouldn't wish sickness on my kids, but when it comes, I'm ok with it (at least when it is just a virus like this one!).

All this to say, life happened this past week.  We had a couple blows, but when I write it all out, a lot of amazing things happened, too.  It is so helpful to look back and see God's hand, even when you don't see it right at the time.  I praise Him for His goodness to me and how He swept me up and took me away from my situation, even just temporarily, to help get me back on track.

1 comment:

  1. sooo GREAT how God gives us perspective....can't live on the same plane, can we...need our hill([perspective) and have to live with our valleys (lows)...the grass is greener there and higher, there is less oxygen so can't stay up there long !!! ALL through, He is good, thank the Lord. And so glad your finger is on the mend and for people/family you got to see and bless and who blessed you. May you have a continued great February educating your kids inbetween housecleaning, cooking, living life !!! oxoxo

    ReplyDelete