Monday 26 February 2018

Blessings from Helping

Things can sure take a turn at any given moment around here. We were fairly certain, based on the past experience, that our dog would be bred the same time she was last year, meaning Spring.  Then, we expected, she'd have her pups late summer.  Well, according to our doggie thermometer test (i.e., the big lug that lives in the shop or aka the male collie), our female went into heat this past week.  I don't need to go into details, suffice it to say, we knew she was ready for breeding!  If we didn't have this other male, I don't think we would know what to look for.  He is so helpful!

Fortunately, my son, the dog breeder, was home on reading week from school. We quickly checked in with our doggie fertility clinic (still can't believe that exists) and off we went to get her hormone levels checked and then to the breeder's, where she'll stay for a "vacation" for a week or so.   If all works out, and we are praying it does, then she'll deliver in April.  That'll work out well because my son will be home from school and he'll be able to enjoy the pups a bit more.  Last time it happened right before he went to school and he missed out on them a bit. 

I felt like an uber driver, running him all over the place.  But my work wasn't done.  No.  The next day was his last day at home and he had a Visa to apply for.  Through an amazing series of connections, he has the incredible opportunity to go to India this May for ten days.    It is through the Christian Veterinary Mission and he'll be working with local farmers and their herds in northern India in the Himalayas.  So cool!  This has been the best experience already as he has had to do so much of the prep on his own.  That was Friday....I whipped him up to the Indian consulate and the Visa will be mailed in a few days.  We just pray he won't get eaten by tigers while he's there....I shouldn't joke...

Meanwhile, my bffc (best friend forever cousin) and I have been discussing the not-so-loved classic Created to be His Helpmeet.  The joke is that it's one of those books you love to hate.  Debi Pearl, the author, has changed marriages through this book, so why would women hate it so much if it will only improve your marriage?  Because it is hard!  But as my bffc and I have discovered, it you are willing to put in the work, you only benefit, as does he.

I will give an example from this weekend.  Now that our home has been turned into a factory, I pretty much have to give up on an orderly home as it is taken over with gaskets, 500 of them, as well as all the equipment that comes with the manufacturing.  I don't mind, my husband is home this week, so I'll enjoy whatever it takes to have him home.  What is hard for me is how much he needs me!  I have to make him tea all the time, or he requires me to be "on call" to help make the gaskets, or he needs me to drop what I'm doing and be there in the snap of a finger, impacting the homeschool.....it can make me grumpy!  However, when I consider I'm his helpmeet, created to help him, then it can be the difference between a happy home, a happy husband, and getting the gaskets done!

My bffc and I discuss our husbands nearly every week and she's been very determined to be the best wife she can be.  As I described my grumpy attitude, she looked at me, "Do I really have to give you a pep talk?"  No, you don't.  Ok, you do.  I was reminded again to help, to serve, to bless, to sacrifice.  Any woman reading that would be shocked and possibly angered by those words, but I say, "Really?  How's that working for ya?  Betcha it isn't working.  Keep doing what you're doing and it won't last.  Try helping!"  So, all week, all weekend, I tried to make myself available to him, doing whatever he needed me to do, even making tea without rolling my eyes.  How pathetic is that? 

The thing is, he notices and is also willing to sacrifice.  We were invited to my brother's birthday event downtown Toronto and even though there was going to be tremendous impact on the gasket schedule, he made time and off we went.  It took us a long time to get there with traffic and we knew it was going to be a late night as we anticipated the drive home.  Suddenly we both looked at each other, "Want to stay over?"  My husband did a quick Hot Wire search and we found a hotel for a pretty good price and in one second he made the call.  A one night getaway was booked!  I couldn't believe it!  We ended up staying over and hanging out downtown the next morning.  It was so fun and so spontaneous.  I felt like a queen.  Is it coincidence?  Or it is just the way things work when we do things God's way?  I'm pretty sure it is the direct result of being obedient when I don't feel like it.  Isn't that love?  Choosing to love?  Love is not waiting for the "feeling" to love, to help.  I'll never feel like it.  But the thing is, my bffc and I have learned is that once we start helping our husbands, perhaps initially out of "it is the right thing to do", it becomes natural and we actually start to enjoy serving, helping, loving our husbands.  We see the joy in their eyes, not resentment.  We see the benefit on their souls as they are so grateful for a happy wife willing to help.  We wonder where the tension has gone in the marriage.  It is no longer a duty, but a privilege.  I'm not saying I'll get a weekend getaway all the time, but the blessings will flow no matter what.  I've lived it.  And, even though I had a fun night away, I was back at it that same day.  We were up late cutting plastic for what seemed like hours late into last night...but it was fine!

A funny aside....We also had a kitten delivery over the weekend......we came home to 5 kitties delivered by our mid-cat son!  Well, he assisted as the mommy cat went into labour on his bed!  One cat, down, one to go...more kittens on the way....yeeeesh!

No comments:

Post a Comment