Friday 9 March 2018

Embracing the Struggle

Just when you think you are in a new and good routine, it changes....yet again.  I've told new moms many times the same thing.  You think you have your baby in a great pattern and you've figured them out, but then then they hit a new stage and you have to relearn the whole child.  That is my world with teenagers...it's not just babies that change!

In the Fall, I couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time getting school done with the little ones.  Then I finally understood it was because I was driving my oldest to all of her jobs she had.  I was in the car for significant amounts of time and the younger ones either came or stayed home with an older child.  By the time I came back they were off the wall and it was hard to get them going again.  Fortunately this didn't last long and she was able to get a car and I was able to get back to schooling.

Now it is the 3rd and 4th child I'm driving everywhere and I attribute this to an answer to prayer!  Gotta watch what you pray for!  I knew they both needed money and I knew they both needed more reasons to get out of bed earlier and work harder in their school, so I prayed.  Two of my older kids had been working at a greenhouse all year long just on Saturdays.  I knew as Spring was coming they would need more help, so we offered that my daughter join in to help.  They were happy to have her!  I didn't realize this would be the answer to prayer on so many levels.

I told my daughter,, who HATES waking up, that she could only take this job where she would be working in the afternoons if she woke up at 6 and did her school work.  She agreed.  But was she all talk?  I wanted to see what would happen.  To my shock and amazement, she's been up all week, maybe not right at 6, but shortly afterward!  It's been absolutely hilarious to hear my kids say, "Look at that!"  They were pointing to the sunrise.  I had to explain what it was.  They hadn't seen one before!  Ok, I jest.  But, the point is made, this one child in particular would sleep all day if she could. And....yes, my older kids, except for a few, all drink coffee....my Dad will be proud.  They really are his grandchildren, after all!  So, they wake up, try and find a Bible to memorize or read, drink their coffee, eat their breakfast, do their chores, and then, here comes the driving part, I have to drive them to the library now each morning, as there is a shortage of quiet and computers in our home.  They work all morning until lunch and then I bring them lunch, they eat, and I drive them to work until RM picks them up on the way home (unless he forgets, like yesterday!)  I'm back in the car, all the time.

But like I said, I'm seeing this as an answer to prayer.  They are so motivated to get up early.  They are motivated to make money, to save money.  One of the books I'm having my son read for school is How to Buy a House Debt-Free.  He just might be able to do it one day.  I'm so glad my kids aren't afraid to work.  I'm so glad they are able to work together.  I'm so grateful that though it is hard work it isn't a toxic environment.  I'm grateful that it is relatively close to us.  I don't love the driving, but I love the chance to be with my kids in the car and just to be able to talk all the time.  With the older 4 gone all day, I then get no distractions with the younger set once I get back.  It's just like it was with the older four when they were younger!  It's so fun to do it again.  And, I've taken the time in the car and turned it into car-schooling!  I play a geography songs cd the whole time and now my kids know more world geography than most adults!

I pray for my kids all the time.  Because I have so many I have to break it up into bite-size prayer chunks and so I pray for one kid a day and two of them on the weekend.   That way I can focus more specifically on a child's specific needs.  As I pray for them I never know how God is going to work.  I never know how He'll answer my prayers as well as what each child needs.  It is often only in retrospect that I see how He's answered my prayers.  I prayed for work for my older daughter, now she has 4 jobs and a few extra things on the side!  I prayed for my son and school.  He not only got in, but got a scholarship and is off to India this year.  I prayed for my next two children about certain qualities I knew they needed in their lives, more discipline, better attitude towards school, purpose for living and God gave them hard work that is forcing them to get up and work hard all day.  They are now so tired at night they no longer stay up late, which made it so hard to get up in the morning.  They hit the sheets early and are out.  Love that!  I prayed for patience with my younger children and I got asked to give a talk on anger!  Guess what I have to work on every day!  I prayed for more time with my younger kids to homeschool them and God got my older ones out of the house all day.  That makes for a lot more time to homeschool! 

As I look back over my much tougher year in homeschooling with so many changes, I'm amazed not at how hard it has been, but how God has met me in each need, each prayer.  A very famous author, as of late, Jordan Peterson, has become famous for figuring out that when life is hard, it's the best!  I have to agree, the harder life has been, God has just been that much more amazing.

Last night, RM and I headed out to the barn in the cold.  Our water pump might be broken.  The water comes into our home in spits and spurts.  Not good.  Could be expensive and it could mean he has to miss the quiz meet this weekend as he'll have to stay home to fix it.  Was I worried?  I would say, "Concerned."  Was I disappointed he wouldn't be able to make it this weekend?  Disappointed, but ok with it as all my other kids would be there to help.  But what kept me from going into a downward spiral was how this was another chance for us to see God work.  RM said to me as we went back into the house, "It can all be solved."  Good words.  God has met us again and again, from kid issues, to house issues.  We've seen big answers and we've learned to embrace the struggle.

1 comment: