Friday 14 December 2018

Soap, microgreens, renos and kittens

The last week has been so fun for me.  It started off with my 2nd annual soap making day with a friend.  I came out with lots of bars of soap for gifts and for myself.  I love it so much and feel so much better about using that on my skin.  I am not about to go into a soap business, but feel good about making it for myself, friends and family. 

Next, I moved into microgreens.  These are the little plants that are a few inches high that you can put on salads or eat just as a snack. They are the healthiest little greens you can eat and they are apparently quite easy to grow.  I was introduced to them a couple of years ago when I watched my friends grow them and sell them at farmer's markets around southern Ontario.  I interviewed them, saw their business and was so excited to try it myself, but then put it off and put it off.  Then I met another lady this past summer at another local farmer's market in town and started talking with her.  She was happy to get together as well and share her knowledge which is what I love best about being out here, everyone is so happy to share what they know.

She and another homeschooler from the farmer's market came over yesterday (who I had never met until yesterday!).  We planted microgreens together on my kitchen table and now we're just hoping for the best!  If this works I will have microgreens year round!  This is very exciting for me!  My kids love them, so I'm hoping it works out.

Now we're into renovation mode....nothing makes me happier than renovating.  Today I was told to take the decor off the walls and move everything off to one side.  When that happens I know he's serious.  There is a saw on the floor.  All good signs!  I'm still trying to keep my expectations in check, but even if a little work gets done, I'll be happy.

Still in full-Christmas mode, running off to cookie exchanges, baking cookies, watching Christmas plays....the season is so full and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

We also had a windfall of unexpected money this week from a very funny source.....KITTENS!  We had never listed our kittens for money, but we kept being encouraged to do so, so we tried it.  Unbelievably people will pay for kittens.  We listed and sold all of them in one day.  The kids were thrilled!  They were sure they were going to keep all the money until I reminded them they had started sponsoring a child.....

A week ago we all went to that country music concert.  As many artists do these days, they showed footage of Sudan where the kids in a war zone are being terribly affected.  My kids were so upset and begged me to sponsor a child.  We have done this in the past, but not with the younger set.  I explained to them what it would cost and told them they would need to help find the money to pay the monthly rate.  They were willing to do whatever it took.  I went ahead and filled in the paperwork knowing the reality would hit them once we got home.  Sure enough, when the kitten money started flowing, they suddenly didn't want to give it away.  They wanted to keep all of it.  You could see dollar signs in their eyes.  But RM wouldn't budge.  They had made a deal to help pay for this little boy and they weren't going to get out of it.  Now they have to raise nearly $500 a year to pay for him!  It appears we are kitten breeders now.  Good thing we only have 100 cats (ok, I exaggerated, but that's what it seems like around here!)

So, if my house smells permanently like kitty litter and cat food, it's all for a good cause.....

1 comment:

  1. Nice to hear people will buy the kittens. Emotions and reality - we get carried up when these presentations happen. Give it a year and see if this is the best use of this challenge. Hard on the young ones....God is faithful, and will guide. Crossing our fingers with you re your'green' project. And I hope lots of renos get done....ox

    ReplyDelete