Monday 17 December 2018

The Kitten Dynasty

Last week I got a call from a local farmer who sells eggs.  I had been in touch with him earlier in the Fall as he was looking for homeschoolers who could work for him in the afternoons.  I guess some of his help hadn't quite worked out and he was looking for new blood.  I was very interested as I knew my kids wanted work and would do anything for it.  But I also knew I'm not as discerning as my husband, so I asked him to stop in, check out the farm and then make the call.

He was willing to do so and went and checked it out.  He was glad he did.  It was brutal work.  Yes, they would be paid well, but not well enough.  He was concerned that it could potentially be a negative situation for our kids, so he came back and said, "No."  My son was disappointed as he really wanted the work, but understood.  I felt badly for him and was really praying that there would be a way for him to make money that wouldn't be so hard.  Does it always have to be awful work?

That's when the kitten dynasty was born.  Like I wrote before, we had never charged ever for kittens.  Once we started to charge a little it occurred to me, we really are offering something that is worth something.  I stopped feeling badly about it.  In fact, we upped our prices!  They still sold!  Suddenly my son who had so badly wanted work had money and, dare I say, it was pretty easy money!  Though my house does suffer a little because of these cats, I would say it's worth it!  They are all now gone or spoken for and no one even flinched at our pricing.  The kids are almost at the amount for the overseas child for the entire year!  After that, they get to keep the rest.  At the rate they are going, they'll make it easily and then some. 

I just marvel once again at how God heard my prayer for my son.  He immediately answered my request for work for my son, work that was on our property that wouldn't kill him, that was safe, that was lucrative, not slave labour.  So great. 

Now, we are watching our cats....never before have we hoped they were pregnant!

No comments:

Post a Comment