Wednesday 1 May 2019

To My Mom - A Tribute

We have now entered birthday season!!!  My dad had his birthday last week, my youngest son's was on Sunday, my mom's 80th is today and my oldest son's is on Saturday, followed by my sister's on the 8th!!! 

I can't believe my mom is 80.  In fact, few can.  My mom is one of the most active women I know and not just physically (she still goes to the gym), but spiritually, relationally and is even quite hip in all the latest styles!  Last summer my sister and I met up with mom at a playground and she showed up in a short little mini skirt that she was wearing for her golf date later on....I'm telling you.  She looked awesome!   80?  No way.  No one would believe it.  If you got someone to draw an 80 year old lady they would probably draw a hunched over person with grey hair and walking with a walker.  My mom scoots around, stands straight, plays golf, travels the world, has places to go and drives a sports SUV.  Not your average 80 year old.

Everyone who knows her loves her and wants to be her friend.  I love that she has so many multi-generational friendships.  One of her close friends is a golfing buddy in her 40s and they hang out at the golf club like a couple of teen girls.  You would never know there is any age difference because my mom doesn't know she's 80!  She treats everyone the same and values all, no matter how old or young.  I love that about her.  People are drawn to her gentle spirit, kind voice, and easy-going personality.

Most of my friends know my mom as a mentor.  I've had more than one friend in my life find solace in my parents' home even when I no longer lived there as they came across hard times either in their marriage or just life's circumstances.  They knew they could rely on my mom for support, love and guidance.  They definitely found that in her.  It meant so much to me at the time that my parents were able to step in and help when I wasn't able to.  I was so proud!

She's the greatest prayer warrior you'll ever know.  My daughter recently caught up with my mom over Easter and when she saw her she asked my mom, "Do you want to know how you can pray for me?"  My daughter knew she could go to Grammy and ask for prayer.  She knew my mom wanted to know how to pray more specifically.  She knew she could count on my mom's prayers 100%.  We all know that.  We all know when my mom is praying.  Even when life is hard, her prayers are obvious.

She comes by it honestly.  There is portrait in her house of her mom that was painted by a good friend of her's.  It is my grandmother, her mom, leaning over her worn Bible with her hands folded in a praying position.  It is such a beautiful image.  May I be known as that same kind of prayer warrior that prays for the generations to come.  I know my grandmother was praying for me.  I know my mom is praying for me and my family.  I have already been doing this from the moment I found out I was pregnant with my first.  Maybe it's because I knew I had been prayed for as well.  I would say that maybe all grandparents and parents do this, but I'm not sure that is true.  So I know I'm blessed.

There are a few seniors in the retirement residence where my kids work that are in their 100s.  They also don't know they are 100.  That'll be my mom.  She doesn't seem to get older.  She takes care of herself physically and spiritually.  God just seems to pour blessings on her health and I'm so grateful for that.  So many don't get that opportunity to have input from a grandparent into the grandchildren's lives and that is a huge loss.  I only know that because I've benefited so much.  I don't take that lightly.  From watching my kids if I had a hair appointment to being at our home over a few days if we're away for a baby or a conference, my mom has always been reliable for care.  It is hard to stop my kids from saying how much they love her. (my dad, too....he'll be 80 next year....married an older woman!)  Their words for her go on and on....

We have other friends who don't come from believing backgrounds.  To not have that spiritual legacy must be so hard.  I am so grateful for the legacy I come from.  When I speak to young moms about this I explain my legacy, but then I explain if that isn't their case, to be the ones to start the legacy.  It is such an amazing thing to pass on to the future generations.

Mom is almost exactly 30 years older than me.  I will have my big birthday later on this fall.  Normally I would dread getting older, but if I live to be like Mom, than I'm ok with that.  She makes it look easy and has done it with grace and style.


This mini-tribute could go on and on.....I don't even know how to stop.  So many ideas keep coming into my head that I'm grateful for!  Thank you, Mom, for turning 80 and giving me a chance to express my gratitude. 

Love you, Mom. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy, you have me crying...you've written so many verbal bouquets - is that me? Thank you for sharing your thoughts now while I can absorb them rather than say them at a funeral...seriously. So touched to receive your meaningful words of love, dear one and dear family. I will treasure their notes to me for my BD. Love that we have been able to be a part of each other's lives over the years and watch you and your family grow/mature...you ARE leading the way. Bless you, keep it up! Always wished for my brothers and sisters to have been able to live nearby and grow up together with their families....:( But yes, Mom did pray and that made a lot of difference I know.
    Thank you again for sharing this to me; for yesterday...I was enveloped in the love of family that I am still basking in and will continue all through my 80th...What? 80? can't be...hard to believe myself..and the word is out, so what can I do....Lots to party for this year, now it's you!! oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete