Wednesday 24 July 2019

Goat Camp

I feel like I live on Old Macdonald's Farm this morning.    Because we get bored and are always looking for something else to do, I agreed to watching goats for just over a week.  We naively put them in the puppy kennel just outside our shop and all three quickly made short work of the overgrown weeds in a matter of hours.  Our friends made a quick comment that I almost missed saying something like, "They might make a little noise at first because they're in a new pen...."  Oh, that's ok, I said.  I had NO idea it would be most of the night.  Goats have evil tendencies.....

Thank goodness it was a cooler night.  I shut the window and our door so I wouldn't hear them or the dog barking at them for the first part of the night as she heard them bleating and wanted to bark back.  It's been a good reminder of why we don't have them as they can be very annoying!

However....what a fun experience again!  We're calling it "Goat Camp".  One of the main reasons I accepted this crazy idea was because of the goat milk I'll get again which means goat cheese!  I made tons of it last year and hope to again this week.  I am going to be the goat queen by the end of the week.  Because I had said yes to this venture without really checking in with anyone, I didn't exactly expect buy-in.  Once they arrived though, it was pretty funny to see all the kids being open to milking training.  I went first.  What a joke.  I had never done anything like that in my life and was pretty much laughing the whole time.  My younger kids got the hang of it right away.  I was impressed!  So I might not have to do it all myself after all!

Even having the goats is a bit of an answer to prayer for me.  Whenever summer comes I never know how things will go, how we'll keep the kids occupied, content, etc....I always commit it to the Lord just asking Him to direct our paths.  The vines have definitely kept us busy - that has been Vine Camp.  The microgreens have given us Farmer's Market Camp.  And now the goats have given us Goat Camp!  I think it is just another neat way that God has provided a distraction for all of us.  They, let alone me, never know what a week will hold. 

The goats are quiet now....but I'm sure that will change in a second.....

1 comment:

  1. My my....always something, no quiet moments ever, huh? Thank goodness for nights - sleep camp!!! gotta have that!! Tracking you all with our prayers for His quiet leading and blessing. oxoxox

    ReplyDelete