Monday 26 August 2019

24 Years, Market Convos and Camp

Every summer I find myself anticipating something.  I never know at first what it is and then I remember.....September is coming!  That may make no sense as I LOVE SUMMER SOOO MUCH and I am ABSOLUTELY NOT wishing summer were over.  What I am anticipating is my one night away for our anniversary.  Because we don't get away very much it makes the one night just that much more fun and special which explains why I anticipate it for so many months!

This year we decided to go away a little earlier as our anniversary often falls on one of the most expensive weekends of the year - Labour Day.  Everyone is trying to get in one last vacation of summer so the prices go way up.  In order to avoid the extra cost we will go away tonight, early on in the week when prices are at their lowest.  Every year it is an expense that makes my stomach turn in a way, but we feel it is so worth it and we've always had food on the table even in spite of the cost.  My husband sees it as a requirement thank goodness.

I have to say, this past weekend at the farmer's market had to be my best day ever.  Not because I sold so many microgreens, no - that is not taking off at this point, though I do have my regular customers, so great! - but because of the people I get to interact with.  I am having so much fun meeting all these new people.  I must have a sign over my head that says, "This woman loves to meet you!" as I have so many amazing conversations.

This past weekend I introduced myself to my new neighbour.  We'd both been at the market the whole summer together, but our booths weren't together until this past weekend.  As we started talking I found out they used to live in the house beside us for years!  They are related to the couple who lives there now.  We were amazed at the coincidence and talked all morning about the history of the property.  I learned so much!

Then I was chatting with the other neighbour on the other side of me and just politely asked if they had a peach farm as that was what they were selling.  Seemed kind of obvious, but I just wondered if that was their main business.  The guy looked at me and said something like, "Oh no.  I'm an optometrist in town.  This is just one of the many side businesses we do."  Suddenly I knew who he was.  His clinic was where our whole family goes for our glasses and eye appointments!  He also owns the local coffee shop and youth center.  AND he runs the peach farm ON THE SIDE!!!  And horses!  I loved this guy.  I had finally found someone who we could completely relate to.  He had two of his boys with him and they were so nice.  One of the older boys, maybe 22, immediately went over to talk to my 9 year old and in a few minutes they were fast friends.  I love it when people treat my kids like they are human beings.

He could easily go home after a long day at the clinic and justify a long nap, but he goes home and pick peaches, or prunes trees, or mows between them.  Kind of sounded like my husband!  It made me feel like we aren't the only crazy ones with multiple things going on.  Turns out he also homeschooled his kids to highschool and it looks like he also adopted a special needs boy who was very sweet.  I could have talked to him for hours and wanted to meet his wife so badly!

As we got talking, I also realized we knew each other from our old church.  He had never gone, but I had met his parents and knew many of the people he knew as many family members of his go there still.  Turns out we both go to the same church now!  We just attend different services so we had never connected though they knew my daughter who plays piano and my son who had given his testimony about Africa the week before.  Amazing.  I walked away from all the conversations that morning so full.  I felt more connected to the community I was living in as well as to other believers who are so like-minded.  It was great.  That morning energized me all day.  I felt like I had had ten cups of coffee by the time I came home.  I had so much to talk about with my husband.  I couldn't have described a more perfect day.

Two of my kids came back from camp and I was so happy to see them so charged up as well.  Being with fellow Christian kids seemed to be just what they needed, too.  When you are on your own throughout the year except with the odd interaction here and there, it can get kind of lonely as camp doesn't run all year (if only!).  Hopefully this will reset them for the year ahead and that more kids will come across their path who are also like-minded.  When my oldest daughter came back 5 years ago from camp, it really changed her whole trajectory for life, so I'm hoping this will set the stage for them as well.  I'm grateful to see my younger kids already looking so forward to going.

Now for coffee.....

1 comment:

  1. SO glad you could get away to celebrate time together. Fun being able to be with your crew of 3 cavorting around. Making special memories. Our prayers were answered too re the older ones and camp. Also lifting up #1 son and his up and coming trip. Your neighbor connections never cease to amaze me and your micro green market meets!! Bless you in the new month ahead of new beginnings. oxo

    ReplyDelete