Monday 11 November 2019

Babies, Art and Writing Contests

What an exciting weekend!  We welcomed the newest member to our family yesterday afternoon and praise God, the little one arrived a week early and is safe at home already after a few short hours in the hospital.  She's about the size of a kitten, but that makes sense as my sister-in-law is as well, never even buying maternity clothes throughout her pregnancy except for one or two things!  I hope we can meet her soon except we're supposed to reach record snow falls for the area today!

We also had a quiz meet on Saturday and though my kids didn't do as well as they have in past years, I always have to remember the point is to get Scripture on their hearts, not just win - though winning has always been fun, too - maybe another time!

However, two of my children did win in a writing contest recently!  It was just for our local homeschool group, but it was very exciting for them and they won a little money!  My daughter submitted her story on how they had managed to raise so much money this summer for my oldest son heading off to Africa.  The judge wrote on her story that it had made her "tear up"!  The sign of a great story!  My 9 year old wrote on his "Night of Doom" when he described his experience of poking himself in the thumb with a carving tool.  His story also gets lot of emotional reaction from disgust to horror to lots of laughs as he ends his story with a great line.  He wrote that he had learned his lesson and that from now on he always goes to bed when his mom says goodnight, followed by a ".....sometimes....."  He got 2nd place while my daughter took first.  I love feedback that my kids get that isn't just from me.   Hopefully that will enforce why we need to write and why it is important to learn to communicate well.

Friday, my 11 year old daughter and I, went into Toronto for an art exhibit that the Canadian branch of Ravi Zachiarias ministries puts on every few months.  We went with my very pregnant sister-in-law who is sort of an artist herself and knows that my daughter is also an aspiring artist, so it was her idea...who knew she was about to pop!  This time the artist they were showcasing was an American artist and a photographer.  They had taken pictures and then painted them of Indian women who are victims of "bride burnings".  These women are burned by their husbands when the bride's family hasn't paid a big enough dowry or other awful reasons like that.  The exhibit was called "Beautiful" because it showed the women's beauty internally despite their outward appearances.  It was hard to see but very powerful at the same time.  I was so impressed that the artist came right up to us to meet us.  We were able to have a great little chat and he encouraged my daughter to press on and learn all the technique that is the basis for more free-flowing art.  It was also exciting to be in the same room as Ravi's daughter, Naomi, who runs the humanitarian arm or RZIM, called Wellspring.  She is doing some amazing things as a result of her life experience.  I'm reading her book right now and am very moved by her story.

I think what I enjoyed most about the experience was that my daughter got a glimpse into using art for God's glory as both the artist and the photographer were Christians.  If God has given her a talent there must be a greater purpose for it.  We headed off to the Art Gallery of Ontario after that to see other artists.  Who knows how these little trips into the city and meeting these people will impact her.  It is probably no different than the book I wrote about last week.  My daughter's life chapters are being written right now and once again I have to wait just as much as she has to wait to see what doors God is going to open in her life.

The whole day almost got missed though.  Seeing as we're still down a car, I had to do lots of negotiating of drivers, vehicles, trains, buses, kids, kid care, food......the list goes on and on.  When it looked like my sister-in-law wasn't able to make it and that the weather was too bad, I took the out and cancelled.  It was too much work and I couldn't swing it easily.  But then I called her and she actually wasn't cancelling at all, I had misinterpreted her text.  Good thing I called.  I quickly tried to renegotiate the day and put it all back into place.  When I finally got downtown, who knows how, I saw her and she said, "So, how was it getting down here?  Did it all work out ok?"  At first I thought of not being completely honest and saying, "Oh, yes, it was no problem."  But then I realized, "No!  It was hard!"  However, this is the thing.  I told her the truth - it was hard.  It was very complicated.  It was 100 things to think about in order to just get away for a little bit.  I had so much to organize and my kids all had to be on board.  I left my house in disarray. I knew for sure I would have lots to do when I came home because of that.  I left my daughter in charge and she did not look happy.  I knew I wouldn't be able to guarantee that any school work would get done.....on and on.  BUT - that is life, my life and it is just the way it is.  In order for my one daughter to get this special experience, everyone had to sacrifice.  I think that is what I love about having a large family.  We all have to put the other person first in order to make each one have a special time here and there.  We did a lot of sacrificing in order to get my son to Africa and I'm convinced if we hadn't all pulled together, it wouldn't have happened!  Same with Friday....if everyone hadn't pulled together, then again, it wouldn't have happened and my daughter would have missed out.  As a mom, I was trying to make it a happy experience all day.  My daughter didn't know how much was going on in my head all day.  By the time I got home, I was undone, but she had a great day!  Will I do something like that every day?  Uh no.  But I am glad I powered through the complicated day and I think it ended up being very worthwhile.....all in the name of finding what her door will be one day.....

2 comments:

  1. Bless you for hanging in there on that Thurs...He got you through and blessed your 11 yr old to the bottom of her shoes and top of her head. When we do things as unto the Lord -big or small, He knows how to take it and use it for His glory. May He make it up to you to enjoy an unstressful day soon !!! :) Love your crew and what they are memorizing is amazing...thrilling to listen to them. We have an amzing new grchild we just saw ! Easy to love such a heavenly gift !! We keep being told how lucky we are to have so many gr.kids - and we are, and are grateful for each one. Love to you all !!ox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I used to read your Blog a lot until a couple of years ago, when I started back to work. I always love reading your writings and just got caught up a bit now! Thank you for being so open and praising God for all His Blessings! It's Brenda Lemon writing. I wanted to send an email to you, but I don't have an updated address, so if you can respond to this message, perhaps "off-blog", I'll send my email without having the world read it!! Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete