Monday 17 August 2020

The Water Became Sweet

I am now the proud mother of 3 trampolines.  Yes, you read that correctly.  THREE.  My son and my husband went up looking to buy one and came home with two.  So, add those to the one we currently own, we're up to three now.  We knew they were selling 2, but we weren't expecting to buy them both.  When RM and my son got there they saw both were actually in pretty good condition and the owners were willing to give them to us for an amazing deal of $200 for the both of them, which was really good to begin with as they were asking $200 each originally.  Once they were home and set up, my son went at it and he's super thrilled as they are as bouncy as he hoped, which means bouncier than what we currently have.  He'll probably replace the springs and resell one of the trampolines and a new trampoline buying/selling business has begun!  The funniest part of the day yesterday was actually seeing my kids FIGHT over all the trampolines!  How is that even possible when there are so many to choose from!?????  But, alas, no one wants the "old" one anymore, even though it is an AMAZING trampoline on its own.  No.....they had to be on the NEW ones, which are in fact quite old.....so funny.....I kept threatening to cut the trampolines in half so they wouldn't argue over them.  

A couple weeks ago, my sister-in-law had a genius idea to have us come down to Toronto to their driveway and sell our produce before they move out in a few weeks.  It seemed like a good idea, but could we pull it off?  My biggest block was myself.  It makes no sense to anyone else who has creative abilities or resources at their finger tips, but for me, I couldn't even make a sign to email to her.  I can't really explain it except that some people have strengths in some areas and some have strengths in other areas.  I love meeting people, engaging customers, working in the garden, making the vine trees, etc., but DON'T MAKE ME DO ANY KIND OF ORGANIZATION OR PAPERWORK.  My husband saw me floundering and said, "I'll make the signs" and within 10 minutes had one emailed out to her.  I also was a little stressed because I hate handling money.  I can do mental math no problem, but when I have 5 customers in line, I can sometimes panic and suddenly I can't add 2 + 2.  But, knowing I just needed to calm down, it all went well.  I was also very stressed about my pricing.  I didn't want to gouge, but I wanted my costs covered and I wanted it to be worth my while.  Everything was organically grown and I knew I was selling good stuff - would people be willing to pay?  I did have to adjust a couple things with some feedback along the way, but it turns out we sold everything and made some money and it was definitely worth it.  Might even consider doing it for a few more weekends....

Last night and this morning have brought both ups and downs.  I went to bed after enjoying a hot shower, but a few minutes later my husband came in and said, "We've got problems...."  Turns out I was the last shower that might have broken the pump bringing all the water to our house!  So now we have to figure out what to do.  In the meantime, we'll be driving to the coffee shop to use the bathroom!

But then, in happy news, our silkie hen's eggs hatched this morning!  They are the cutest little things!  We saw her sitting on her eggs and hoped and hoped they would actually hatch into little chicks and they did!  So far we've seen just 4 out of the 13.  But she's making herself so big and fluffy sitting on them all that we have no idea how many may actually be under her.  Such an exciting day!  My son will sell them eventually we hope and that'll bring him a little income.  So fun....

Exodus 15 is my encouragement, "What shall we drink?"  The Israelites go through so many lows and highs and each time is rescued in a miraculous way, but still "They went three days into the wilderness and found no water."  Hmmmm....kind of like us.  No water.  Though we had miraculous sales on Saturday, though we have miraculous births this morning, and gifts of trampolines for free essentially....yet no water and we complain "What shall we drink?"  So Moses "cried to the Lord and He showed them.....and the water became sweet."  Then it seems the reason behind all the trials, "...and there He tested them, saying, 'If you will diligently listen to the voice of the Lord your God, and do that which is right in His eyes, and give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you that I put on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, your Healer."  So, it appears we are being tested.  We must diligently listen, do what is right, give ear to His commandments, keep His statutes....seems easy enough.  Or not......We have a lot in common with those Israelites sadly.  We find ourselves in the cycle of ups and downs all the time, but I will say, I'm not as shocked anymore!  It's not that I'm half-expecting it, I'm just learning that reacting badly doesn't help.  We are always able, by God's grace, to find a solution.  We are never disabled too long.  And, like the Israelites, one day we'll  end up at Elim...."Then they came to Elim, where there were twelve springs of water and seventy palm trees, and they encamped there by the water."  That sounds a bit like heaven.  I'm not expecting twelve springs of water or seventy palm trees, though that would be nice!  I would be quite happy with the use of a toilet and shower for now, but I know that God knows we need all these things, so I will try to pass this test, along with all the kids who need to use a bathroom, and wait to see the Lord's provision and even "healing" of our pump.  "The water became sweet."  It seems the very thing that was bitter turned into something wonderful.  Isn't it like that with all our trials?  They seem so bitter at the time, but then in reflection they somehow become sweet because of the good that came out of them or all that was learned.....I know that will happen even in this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment