Thursday 5 December 2013

The Fun Police

I feel like we must be on the verge of a breakthrough.  Because we've been at this nearly 8 weeks I'm beginning to notice certain tendencies, like going out for coffee, aren't even a second thought anymore.  We simply don't do go those places that used to be an apparent money pit for us.   So, on the one hand, I feel really successful, but on the other hand, I'm still sooooo weak and find myself looking for places, like a fun addict, where I could take my kids for a fun time.  I'm also being constantly challenged by what I call the Fun Police.

The Fun Police are out to get me.  These people are determined to make sure my kids are having the proper levels of fun in their lives and they pass out tickets to me whenever my kids appear to be missing out on something fun.  I love that word.  Fun.  It's even fun to say.  Fun.  Fun.  Fun.

All it takes is for me to be near anyone who is planning a fun winter getaway or something like that and it seems all my resolve leaves me.  It's like taking yourself off of sugar - suddenly it's all you can think about!  It's all you want!  FUN!

Remember, it's about making my kids happy - temporarily.  And, not unlike sugar, I figure, even if I caved and spent the extravagant amount of money, I could shed the debt weight with a little financial exercise the next month, couldn't I?

Last night, for the second time in a week,  I was warned by a well-meaning friend that I had better be careful.  Our oldest is nearly 16 and could be out of the house in just two years or so - we could be missing out on doing fun things with her that we'll regret later.  Trigger words!  Fun things.

Didn't I just have this very conversation with someone only a few days earlier??????  This is why I think I'm on the verge of a breakthrough because it is a temptation that keeps getting thrown at me and it is the ONE area I am the weakest in.

Hear my answer, one more time.  I even shocked myself.  I sounded quite strong on the outside, but was crying on the inside. 

"Yes, I know she could be out of the house soon.  And yes, I know there is a chance we are "missing out" on major family trips, etc.  But this is not short-term thinking for us.  We are thinking (remember, I already said this!) multi-generationally.  If we don't stop this pattern of financial thinking now, when will it stop?  So it may just mean this generation has to sacrifice for the next generation.  We are ok with that."

Do you have Fun Police in your life, too?  They are always well-meaning individuals who are just doing their job to protect the levels of fun in their community.  They do not have the same convictions in place in their lives that I do and therefore I look like a fun criminal! 

I share this with anyone who is struggling, like me, with staying focused.  The borrower is slave to the lender - do you want to be a slave for the rest of your life just to make your child temporarily happy?  As a mom, my weakness is my child's happiness level and the new weakness is what keeps being brought up - their "memory making" levels or their "fun" levels.  Oh dear, I think, have I given them enough fun memories?  This drives RM crazy when I talk like this.  He drives me back to the Word....

The Bible really doesn't mention fun or memories.  Think about it - If you did a word search, "Fun" isn't in the Bible.  WHAT??!!!  All it talks about is training, discipling, disciplining and reminding them what God has done for us.  This is why if I didn't have the Word of God, I'd fall apart and book a trip tomorrow.   Deuteronomy 6 gives me my mandate - it models families being together and having a full family life without the crutch of debt.  Job is defined as a righteous man.  He had his family in order.  They spent time together, enjoyed one another's company.  The point is, there are many ways to create memories.  Going on a trip is definitely a way and don't forget, one day I do hope to do so, but I can't let the cultural pressure make me think it is the only way and force me to make unwise financial decisions.  We must remain steadfast.  Once again, the book of James comes to the rescue...

James 1:4, "And let steadfastness have its full effect that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."  I've never applied this verse to myself in this way before.  Being steadfast in our resolve is going to produce more than just a debt-free life, it is going to sanctify me - I will be lacking in nothing!

James 5:11, "Behold we consider those blessed who remain steadfast.  You have heard of the steadfastness of Job and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, how the Lord is compassionate and merciful."  What a packed verse - I will be considered blessed if I remain steadfast.  I want to have the steadfastness of Job.  We have the benefit of hindsight in seeing the purpose of the Lord in Job's life.  Could that mean there is a purpose even in my steadfastness?  I think so.  It is also interesting to note in the very same sentence that the Lord is compassionate and merciful.  This is so true.  All I have to do is look back at all the multiplication stories and even the boot story and see how he is showing his compassion and mercy to me along the way.

Job had nay-sayers in his life, too.  He remained steadfast.  So we will remain steadfast. 

Does that mean we aren't going to do fun things or try to create memories for our kids - of course we are, but not at the expense of being a slave. 

I don't know what the breakthrough will look like.  Perhaps it is just that the temptations will get less tempting, but all I know is I think I hoped deep down that God was going to bless us maybe in the first couple months with some windfall that would have paid off the mortgage right away!  Funny. 

Stick with us - I knew it was going to be hard.  I couldn't have imagined how hard.  I've never done anything this difficult in my life.  And I didn't realize how many Fun Policemen were out there monitoring me!

Well, this was supposed to be a post about that series I had talked about.  Hopefully, I'll eventually get to it, as it has added hours to our day, unless of course I end up in Fun Jail.  :)

1 comment:

  1. You are teaching your kids things about God that they would never learn if your only focus was fun and holidays. And what is the purpose of man really? To love God, to know God, to fear and respect God, to bring glory to His name! Our culture is about loving ones self ..... Going against our culture is very hard....but oh so very necessary!! Keep on keeping on God will bless your efforts! He already is!!!

    ReplyDelete