Thursday 22 May 2014

Rice and Beans....for a month?????

Another rough week with that same sick baby!  He keeps getting what appears to be a virus, but this last time it was more than likely bacterial and ended up on antibiotics.  This does not make for much writing or sleeping.  Hopefully these meds get him well once and for all.

Kids will be up soon, so can't write much, but still have a few things on my mind.

The "trade-up" with the Porsche is not going to go through after all which was a big disappointment, but it means we'll get more cash for the car, so perhaps it isn't a bad thing.  However, we were really hoping to have a skid steer on our property as soon as this week to start getting some things done that we were hoping to get done.  Is it a "no" to one of our answers to prayer?  I don't think so.  I think God is going to answer in a way that is better than we think.

Renaissance Man is now working on the 3rd Porsche which he has zero experience on - a 928.  He he is completely winging it and learning on the fly, but he's a quick learner so I have no doubt that he'll miraculously get this one running as well.  He's been asked to fix someone's Boxter which would be SUPER COOL  for the boys, but we haven't heard back.  My husband, a Porsche mechanic, who knew?  It is still a really neat way for him to make some extra cash on the side.

We've ordered meat birds (chickens) and pigs will be coming shortly.  We'll be able to sell a lot of that meat which isn't a huge money maker for us, but it really helps to put meat in the freezer for our own consumption.

On the topic of meat, we usually have it every single dinner almost without fail.  It is one area that is hard for RM or any of us to compromise on.  Even if times are tough, I still have been buying it, just on sale or super cheap cuts of meat.  Many weeks ago though, I bought large bags of beans, chick peas and lentils.  This was with the hopes of  trying to cut costs for the odd snack or add to the odd meal, but it hasn't been happening like I thought.  Meanwhile, the cost of meat is soaring!  Even on sale, to get the amount of meat that we need to satisfy our family is no small bill.  It occurred to me, much to my children's unhappiness, I should really use up what I have purchased and lay low on the meat for a bit.  Oh my.  The look on my children's faces was absolute dread!  Beans for dinner?????  For how long?!!!  I was suggesting the completely horrific amount of time such as a year!  They nearly died!  Then I said, ok, a month.  Hmmm....not so sure.  Then I said, how about a month with meat once a week.  Now I was getting a little buy-in.  RM was sold.  He loves meat, but he knows it is expensive, so he was happy to give it a try.

So the challenge is on - beans for a month with some meat on the weekend or perhaps a trace amount just to add flavour (like a few pieces of bacon) once in a while during the week.

First off, I made the roasted chick peas for a snack again and they forgot how much they loved it.  Then that first night night I made a delicious bean dish (I always use pinto for no particular reason).  I had soaked the beans the night before and cooked them the next afternoon.  Then I heated some oil with garlic and onion just as if I was going to add meat, but instead I added beans and green peppers.  I added all sorts of spices like salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin, then at the very end when the beans were getting super mushy I added some light cheese (still watching our waist lines).  I had cooked some brown rice and put it in the bottom of a casserole dish.  To this I added the beans and put a trace amount of cheese on top of that.  I put it all in the oven to broil for a couple of minutes and voila, a yummy rice and bean dish.  On the table I added some shredded lettuce, tomatoes and red pepper, as well as sour cream and I heard all sorts of "This is actually good!"  My spoiled children....how pathetic!

The next night I made what was called Barbeque Beans.  Same type of thing where it starts out cooking with onions and garlic.  I added broccoli, though the recipe asked for collard greens.  I figured any greens were good.  Then I threw in a few small pieces of chopped up sausage.  Now remember, normally I would cut up anywhere from 8-12 sausages for our family.  This time I only used four, so that was a big change for me!  I then threw in all the leftover rice and beans from the night before as well as an extra cup or two of cooked beans.  To this I added a bowl of bbq sauce (about a cup) mixed with water, molasses, tomato paste, a bit of salt and put it all over the rice/bean dish.  It was almost completely devoured.  I'm thinking everyone is ok with rice and beans!  Tonight, not sure, but I know there are a ton of good bean recipes out there, so I'm not too worried.

One other funny note.  I continue to cut our children's hair, except my oldest daughter's.  Her's is so thick, I just don't think I could do it without making a major mistake.  To prove this, I did my middle daughter's hair and needless to say, it got quite a bit shorter than planned in the name of making it even!  Oops.  That same day I looked in the mirror and knew I needed a cut super badly, but didn't want to go, so the next thing you know I started chopping my own hair with no particular plan.  Within a few minutes I had cut off the parts that needed to be trimmed and had even layered it to some extent!  It didn't look too bad!  No one has said, "Uh, did you cut your own hair????"  So I know it can't be that obvious!  Now, the question of the hour.....can I highlight my own hair????  I guess I better stick to one thing at a time.....(though I could always ask Renaissance Man - he's done my hair before!)

The journey continues, God continues to provide amazingly and we continue to howl at all the funny ideas I come up with to cut costs........

No comments:

Post a Comment