Friday 1 August 2014

God is in the Plumbing Business

I cannot explain this one.  I have been fighting and fighting with my dishwasher almost since we bought it.  Granted, we got probably the cheapest one on the market, but I still expected it to work...at least for a couple of years!  It seemed half the time I was re-washing the dishes, though it had just gone through an entire cycle.  We all know what that's like.  Sometimes I could figure out why...perhaps the dishes had been loaded wrong, blocking the water jets or sometimes a spoon handle had gotten through the utensil holder also making the jets not work.....but other times, there was no explanation.  This machine seemed to have a mind of its own.  It would wash cups, I'm serious, but not bowls.  It would wash the bottom rack, but not the top.  It would wash the sides, but not the middle.  It was always something different.  Then the water in the basin started to back up.  Renaissance Man hadn't a moment to look at it, but he tried a few things, but no success.  Then I called on my two older boys.  They also tried and it seemed to work for a day, but then it stopped and we were back to handwashing.  I know some people like doing that, but I can't.  I find it hard to stay on top of all the washing, which is constant, and I find it frustrating because I could be spending that time doing something else and, oh yeah, I bought a MACHINE THAT WASHES DISHES TO DO THAT!!!!!

But I digress...then we started to pray.  I never found myself praying for a dishwasher, just debt reduction amongst other things.  Then it occurred to me, why not look at it myself?  So I got down on my knees, dug my hand in that pit of despairt, scraped a few things out of the way, ran it with a some bleach to clean it up and get rid of the smell.  Then, the next thing you know, it worked!  I don't even know what I did?!  It runs better than it ever has!  Every dish is coming out clean!  I honestly can't explain it.  So yesterday I told my husband, "I called in a plumber and now the dishwasher works!"  "What?  Who?" his eyes said to me as plumbing bills are not allowed in this house with him on staff.  "God," I said, "God was my plumber."  It's the only explanation I can come up with.

I'm grateful even for that small miracle in my life.  I rely on my dishwasher just like my washing machine.  I know, I know, think of the pioneers and how they must have gotten by.  Trust me, I think of them all the time!  But I am not a pioneer and I have kind of gotten used to using that luxury!  It has certainly made my life much more manageable, so to have it up and working makes me very, very happy.  I am so convinced that it is just another reminder of how God cares for me.  I know He cares for everyone, but sometimes He has this way of personalizing His love to show an individual that He cares very much for them, as a person, a mom of 8 living on a farm who sometimes just needs a little personal touch from the Lord.  So great!  I took out my mug for coffee this morning and I dared to look to see if it was clean (that's how I'm used to unloading the dishwasher!) and it was!  A fantastic cup of coffee later, I'm thanking God for fixing my dishwasher!

No comments:

Post a Comment