Monday 25 April 2016

The God of the Extraordinary

What a rough couple of weeks!  Both myself and my oldest daughter have the immunity of sharks, very rarely ever sick, but this virus must have been a super-virus as it took both of us down....hard.  The rest of us are back into the swing of things, but she is still down and out.  It's a small reminder how grateful we need to be for our health that we normally take so for granted.

She and my other daughter went to a Hillsong concert last week.  They have been on a music high ever since.  What I think I liked most (I heard about it anyway when they came back) was that there was a sermon half-way through the concert!  It was all about unusual miracles and how we can look through Scripture and see all the unusual people God used and all the unusual miracles He did.  Even though I wasn't there and I didn't hear the actual words, I found it so encouraging.  He talked about Moses and how he was described as a unique child.  The ESV said, "a fine child".  What would have made him stand out?  Why even mention that?  But there was something his parents noticed.  Of course, Moses went on to lead the Israelites out of slavery and did many, many unique miracles.

His point?  God is the God of the unusual.  He didn't just deliver the Israelites, He delivered the Israelites!!!  He opened the Red Sea!  That is unusual!!  The pastor was trying to explain how there is nothing ordinary about God and what He does.  He wants to do unusual things in our lives, too, for His glory.  One of the verses he used was Acts 19:11, "And God was doing extraordinary miracles by the hands of Paul...."  That is another great word - extraordinary. 

That is not to say that the ordinary or regular things in our lives can't be used for His glory, too.  I do laundry and make meals every day - pretty ordinary stuff - or is it?  I find it quite miraculous to be honest with you!  When I stop to think how many loads of laundry I do and how many meals I make, it is astounding!! I regularly point this out to the kids!  Mother's Day is coming....hint....hint.....

So, even the regular in my life is not regular.  It's good to be excited about what God can do.  It's good to ask Him to work in an extraordinary way.  I have seen Him to do so many amazing things.  I never get tired of watching His hand in our lives.  But I ask for even more, to never stop working, to never stop doing extraordinary miracles, in my life, in my children's lives, in my husband's work, in our finances.....

This will be short today....I've got kids to wake up.....but I'm praying for an extraordinary day for all the people in my life who need a "Red Sea" moment in their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment