Wednesday 13 April 2016

The Life-Changing Words of a Little Girl

My house has been so empty this week.  Now that the older two are gone, everything has changed.  All the tasks that they used to do now must fall on the others.  This is great!  Though, the younger guys don't think so, but deep down, I think they are kind of excited about this new transition.  Big responsibilities are suddenly on their shoulders.  I love watching how they are rising up to fill in the shoes of their sibs.

I sat the rest of our children down yesterday and walked them through what the changes will be...who will now have to do what in order to have a smooth running home.  Groan.  Yet, they did the tasks I asked. Having these older ones leave is exactly what needed to happen in order for these younger ones to step up. As sad as I am to see the older ones go, I'm quite thrilled to see how it is a natural progression for the ones remaining.

As I read through the Bible, year after year, the same stories always strike me in a different way.  This time, it was story of Naaman, the commander of the Syrian army, sick with leprosy.  It was the little girl who had been taken captive by the Syrians in one of their raids who told the commander's wife about Elisha.  How sad!  I picture her being taken captive, possibly out of the arms of her mom, and then, helplessly having to settle into her new life of captivity, working for this new woman in her life.  Yet, God used her to heal Naaman.  Even in her captivity, she was aware of God, of Elisha, His prophet, and of his abilities to heal.

I wonder if she felt sorry for herself ever.  We don't get those kinds of details.  I wonder why God allowed her little role in scripture to be included.  I had never noticed that she was a girl taken from her parents.  I'd always read that a little girl had been the one to tell Naaman about how he could be healed, perhaps just a little Syrian girl.  This time I realized it was a little girl with a sad past and really a girl who was a slave.

I found myself relating to her, just a little, in a small way, still in captivity, feeling a little like a slave in our situation....yet.....knowing about God.  I think that is what made all the difference for her.  It makes all the difference for me.  I can still point others to God, despite my situation.  I, in fact, can point others to God because of my situation.  I have been able to tell so many stories to others who are enslaved in some way, finding no way out, because of my own "slavery".  Did God allow my circumstances to happen just so that I could be used to tell others of His salvation?  Perhaps!  Did God orchestrate her whole capture because one day He knew, far in advance, how He could bring glory out of it?  I think so.  Think about that!  God has undoubtedly allowed my "capture" knowing far in advance how He could use it to bring glory to Himself, to bring others to faith....I don't even know all the ways He'll use my captivity.

We don't know how her life turned out.  All we know is that some really important man was healed.  Her story doesn't even seem to have a happy ending.  She gets overlooked and just goes back to her daily grind. That is fascinating to think about, too, how just one simple comment or suggestion to another person about the saving work of God could impact another life for eternity...without us ever knowing about it.  Once Naaman gets healed, he says, "Behold, I know that there is no God in all the earth but in Israel.." but I'm not convinced she knew about his new faith.  Did he ever go back to thank her?  It isn't recorded.  That seems like a great reminder to use every opportunity to share Christ, to encourage another person to seek Him, to tell what we know about the God who can "cure", yet to never expect a reward here on earth.  It'll be a heavenly reward.

Her words changed his life.  My words could change a life.  Will I speak if given a chance?  Will I speak life-giving words?  I pray that my eyes would be opened to see the opportunities that are sent my way.....

No comments:

Post a Comment