Tuesday 2 May 2017

Parents, Birthdays and Keeping Our Lips on our Face!

This past week both my parents turned another year older.  Both are doing well and in good health, including my Dad who just recently had hip surgery.  I read in Proverbs yesterday, "Listen to your father who gave you life, and do not despise your mother when she is old....Let your father and mother be glad; let her who bore you rejoice."  I realize not everyone can live out these verses very easily if they've had a poor relationship and negative experience as a child.  For me, however, this is quite an easy verse for me to live out.

My parents are easy to listen to and it would be unthinkable to despise them.  I'm about to head away for a few days with my mom, sisters, and sister-in-law to warmer climes and I cannot think of anyone I'd rather spend time with.  When we were choosing a place to live, we absolutely considered, "Where are Mom and Dad?"  We definitely didn't want to be far away from them, but not because of childcare, just because we enjoy them!  We did this trip a couple of years ago, too, and the reason it is all possible is because Dad insists on it.  He knows the value of relationships, always has, and he'll do whatever it takes to make good relationships happen.  This is something he has instilled in me and modeled for our kids.

Birthdays are just a good time to stop and reflect and appreciate those around us.  I'm very grateful to have my parents in our lives.

We also celebrated my littlest's birthday this week. He turned 5.  We dreaded that day so much.  We were so sad that he was out of his little years and into the "big boy" years.  He woke up and we shouted, "Happy Birthday!"  He said, "Now I'm not cute!'  So sad!!!  He even knows it!!!  But, of course he is still super cute and we love him to death.  My oldest boy will be 18 this week, too.  So many birthday celebrations!  Talk about extremes - one no longer cute and one becoming handsome. On top of that we celebrated our "other family", too.  Our friends who are in the midst of a marriage trial come most weekends and we are their party when their kids have birthdays, too, so it feels like there is always a party going on here.  Everyone loves it though!

Meanwhile, I'm still trying to keep sibling arguments at bay and keep some peace in the home with all these extra people around.  Yesterday, still in Proverbs, I read a great verse and I must have used it all day long, "A fool's lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating."  We talked for a long time about what a fool does and how he acts in the morning.  Then, we went to start school, but my little boys stayed and played without following (first mistake).  Immediately my 6 year old said to the 5 year old, "That's not cool at all!"  as he watched his brother make his new monster truck make a big jump (i.e. foolish thing to say).  Then, the 5 year old, armed with a new car track, picked it up and whacked his brother in the arm.  Tears and screams followed.  I ran in and said, "What happened?!" The crying 6 year old said, "I told him his jump wasn't cool at all and then he hit me!"  I just stopped and almost laughed out loud.  "Didn't we just read about how the fool's lip walk into a fight?  That is what happened here.  Your lips jumped off your face and ran over to your brother.  You asked for a beating!"  Hmmmmm....how did Proverbs know that was going to be my new verse for the day?! Needless to say, I repeated it countless times, "Keep your lips on your face!"  Love Proverbs!

I rarely get the computer these days now as my son is using it for school first thing in the morning, so I'll have to stop here.....life is full....

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your words....hardly the word; we are grateful for the gifts each of you 4 are and the significance of the God factor in each of you. Heard from a mom last week who said, my son is getting married and he says he's not using a church...she just shrugged...if you don't raise them that way, not surprising. So glad your hearts were kept warmed by Him. Re your boys - His Word will not return void...don't give up. AND keep your sense of humor as it looks like you are....ooxoxo

    ReplyDelete