Tuesday 5 June 2018

To be continued

The amount of posts certainly reflects my new season of life.  And I thought babies were hard......

Our plate is full, but we realize, yes, we may have brought some of the busy-ness on ourselves, but what would be doing with our time otherwise?  Sitting around eating bon bons?  So, in a strange, backwards kind of way, I don't mind all the activity.  In fact, I would actually say I enjoy it.  I'm a person who needs something to look forward to.  If I admit it, then I actually need something to look forward to everyday.  When I have to drive my son to work, or we have art class, or one of them have a dentist appointment, I actually look forward to it!  When I ask myself, "Why is that and what is it about me that enjoys and looks forward to those things?"  I realize it is because that is how God has wired me - I like people, I like getting out, I like going new places and even the same old places, I look forward to conversations with others, and it is a chance for me to be alone sometimes in the car and even pray or listen to a sermon while I'm out....I'm good with all that!

A couple of funny things from yesterday.....RM and I were sitting at the table drinking coffee before he headed off to work and we kept hearing this thumping sound.  It was kind of a windy day, so we thought it was maybe a branch banging against the side of the house.  We had no idea and weren't really concerned, though it my mind I kept thinking, "What could that be?!"  He left and I forgot about it.  If the noise went on throughout the day, I didn't notice.

Later on that morning I was trying to get the kids to feed cats, do chores, deliver laundry....all the usual stuff, but my 7 year old, who is always about "not doing chores" and "inventing his own chores", said, "I'm going to fill up the bird feeder."  Not on the list, but fine.  But then I remembered the chickens had dumped the entire bin of bird feed the day before and there was none left for filling.  I said this over and over, but he wouldn't listen to me, adamant that he could fill it up with something anyway.  I walked away as steam was starting to come out of my ears.

When I saw him later, he said, "Mom!  Something funny happened!  I lifted the bin to fill up the bird feeder (it had been upside down when it tipped over) and a chicken walked out!  She had laid an egg!" 

Suddenly, it dawned on me....the noise we had heard had been a chicken stuck under the upside down bin!  She had been banging and banging trying to get out!  Poor thing!  When the bin fell off the bench, she had inadvertently gotten stuck, long enough to lay an egg!  So funny....

Then, last night, I had some last minute tidying before bed and I asked the younger 3 to help out.  They are doing waaaaay more than ever now that their older siblings are gone so much.  They aren't so keen on this.  Oh well.  I asked the 6 year old to pick up some shoes in the kitchen and to put them in the mudroom.  "Sure, Mom!"  He was so obedient and quick to listen, I was so happy!  But then I found out he only picked up his own shoes, no one else's.

I said to him, "You need to pick up these ones as well." 

"They're not mine!" 

"I know, " I told him, "but I'd like you to pick them up, too." 

"Fine!"  He grumpily picked them up.  Goodbye to the good attitude.

A couple of minutes later he came up to me and said (speaking of his 9 year old sister), "She does NOT appreciate it when I pick up her shoes!"

I had to cover my mouth in shock - NOT APPRECIATE?!!!  How does he know a big word like that?! 

So I asked him, "How do you know she doesn't appreciate it when you pick up her shoes?"  (smirking to myself, trying not to laugh out loud...)

In his most angry voice, "She doesn't say 'thank you'!" 

"Oh really!  Do you thank me when I do the laundry?  or make dinner? or.....or...or.....?" 

Now sheepish, "Uh...no...."

He got it.  I loved how his eyes lit up.  He realized maybe he wasn't the only one who isn't always appreciated.  However, I made sure my also-smirking 9 year old, went up to him and thanked him for putting her shoes away.  Lesson learned for all of us.  Be grateful, appreciate others.  Even a 6 year old needs a little appreciation around here!

I have been reading 4 books at once recently.  In the few moments I have before I go to bed exhausted, I try to read a little.  They are almost always books about real men and women and their true stories.....but more on this tomorrow.....kids are up....!

No comments:

Post a Comment