Thursday 24 May 2018

A Tale of Stinky Fish

I never thought I would complain and say something like this before, but this is what I'm complaining about now - my son smells like a fish.  He got in the car yesterday and I had to stop myself from gagging.  All the windows were down.  It took me a few minutes to get used to the new sea salt/fish smell, all the while breathing through my nose, before I could carry on a conversation without the gag reflex. 

My son didn't care and the truth was, neither did I, because the reason he smells like a fish, a really bad, smelly fish, is because he is around fish all day, actually huge mammals, doing the dream job of his life, feeding these stinky fish (thus the smell!) to a bunch of beluga whales all day long.  He and I both pinched ourselves many times this week.  We just can't believe he's working in what he feels lis a giant movie set of Dolphin Tale.  He said yesterday that even another employee said to him yesterday, "I can't believe I get to work with whales!  This is the best job ever!"  My son had to agree, "I know!  I love my job!" 

So the drawbacks - he stinks every time I pick him up.  Really badly.  But, I really don't care.  I get to pick up my son who is so happy I could cry.  He is going to have a really funny tan.  The backs of his legs are so red from leaning over the pools to feed the whales.  His ribs are sore from leaning on the cement.  His arms are sore from carrying the 60 lbs of fish the belugas eat all day (times 32 - that's right, there are 32 belugas - they have a very successful breeding program apparently!). 

And, the drive.....oh, the drive.....we have to figure this one out.  It is a 40 minute drive one way to drop him off and potentially much longer as I have to pick him up during rush hour.  I haven't minded, it just means a huge impact on our schooling again, which I have pretty much had to pack in for the year seeing as I'm never home anymore.  The kids usually have to come with me when I drive as they are too young to be on their own for that long.  So, there has been impact with this new job, but the little kids can't believe he works with whales all day at an amusement park, so they are actually ok with it, too!  They are so thrilled for him!  (I think they secretly hope that we'll get season's passes to the park, which I don't want to get, but may have to.....)  But, each time we've driven him together, we stop and do something fun and they now don't mind going with me knowing it'll always end up being a great time.  We school in the car, talking about all the things we're learning. 

We're still debating about getting another car just for the summer, but we aren't sure.  I always end up listening to more sermons than normal when I drive this much and I heard some great programs yesterday, one in particular related to money and young adults and debt.  The average American student graduates with $37,000 in student loans when they finish school.  The guest on the show suggested that this doesn't have to be the case.  We would agree which is why all our kids are working so hard to put themselves through school.  So far, all our kids are debt-free with school and they are paying for it themselves.  However, if they get cars, then everything changes.  We aren't quite sure what to do there.  One friend suggested that perhaps I continue to drive, but he pays me a percentage for the gas and my own car care, just not the full amount he would have to pay for his own car.  That's a thought.  So, we are praying about this one 'cause it is a challenge for me and the kids to be in the car so much.  It is a challenge for us with all the gas.  It is just hard all the way around, but we know it'll all work out in the end.  In the meantime, my son is living a dream and I don't want to spoil it by complaining about the drive.  It's actually really fun to drive with him all the time.  He is one of my funniest kids, and has me in stitches most of the way there.  We also get to talk about his India trip, or his struggles, or whatever it is that you just don't normally get when you aren't driving your child for an hour and a half!!!  So I thank God, I really do, for the challenge this new job has given us.

Years ago, I remember asking my women's Bible study to pray for us.  We were considering moving to the country and I didn't want to go.  I had this son, I told them, who clearly loved nature and animals, and I felt like living in town was just not the best place for him.  So they prayed.  My son was 5 at the time.  Now he's 19.  God did not answer that prayer right away.  It took 7 years before we moved to the country, but we did move, and it was really motivated initially because of that little boy. Not only did we move to the country, but we moved to a part of the world that has whales!  We never thought about that when we first moved here, but really, only people who live near this amusement park can work there (unless you move!).  I never would have told my husband 12 years ago, "We should really move to a neighbourhood that has whales."  No, I would not have even known to say that.  So, I marvel, that God in His sovereignty knew that years later my son would need this kind of a job to get him more animal experience.  He also moved us to a place where we would meet the right people who would help connect us to other people who would help us get this job!  Some would call it all coincidence, but I can't.  I know our life would be so different if we had stayed where we were.  I knew my son was a different kid from the beginning and he needed a different place to live.  I thank God that those prayers were answered from so long ago.

1 comment:

  1. Fishy smells, but all's well. PTL for His leading in our lives when we couldn't look ahead, but pray and trust. How He goes before and prepares the way. Love/blessings, prayers as you drive and drive, but may He lead you during this process personally and with the 4 younger ones. Not an easy challenge. May He continually help you in your creativity with them. Maybe I can take a day for you now and then until you decide about another car or ways to cover the costs via #2. oxoxox

    ReplyDelete