Wednesday 18 September 2019

Off to Africa....

As of yesterday morning at 11 am, our son is off to Africa.  Knowing my tendency to micro-managing and feeling stress easily, I really chose to back off as much as possible and let him lead the way.  Every time I fear came up, I took it captive and took it to the cross.  I know so many were praying.  It was obvious because the final two days before he left could have been awful, but they weren't.

The day before he leaves, hardly feels like a good time to make a major trek across to East Toronto to the mission office, but that was the only time it worked somehow.  My son gave his testimony at the chapel they had which they have each Monday morning I think, possibly more often.  What a great way to start off a week!  Some former missionaries just back from Ethiopia prayed for him.  Fortunately all eyes were closed so no one saw the spouts of water coming from my eyes. 

I'm so glad we did go though because I ended up meeting so many amazing people who work in the office.  I was amazed to meet so many who knew my grandparents on my mom's side.  One man heard me say that I didn't get to know my grandparents that well as they were serving in Africa their whole lives and my grandmother only came back when I was just about to move away.  I only really got to appreciate her in her final years.  That man told me my grandfather was "legendary" in the mission circles.  My grandmother was also called an "incredible woman of God".  Wish I'd known them more.  My kids have had the privilege of growing up in close proximity to their grandparents and that has made for much closer relationships that I'm so grateful for. 

After getting all the final details worked out (it took some scrambling), we somehow managed to have a relatively calm night on his last night here.  All the kids prayed such beautiful prayers for him and spoke life into him, and really into me through their words.  They all went out as a group of 8 on his final night.  They've actually gone out so many times in the last two weeks.  It became their big excuse, "We're going out because he's almost gone."  "We're going out in case he gets big by a mamba and we never see him again."  "We're going out in case he gets attacked by a lion."  Yeah, we get it.  Go out.  Have fun.

My biggest fears have been the transferring of planes, the missing of flights, being potentially robbed in an airport.....but so far we've heard nothing so I think that means it's all good.  We can track his flight with an app.  He's almost arriving in the next hour on his second leg of the flight to a country near Angola.  Then he stays over in a hotel and makes his way to Angola the next day.  I can only pray and trust God for his safety.

Within minutes of arriving home we had to get right back into regular life as he left on my other son's birthday!  More celebrating and more activities!  Can't even stop and breathe!  We also started immediately talking with our other children about their futures, their plans.  Getting one son off to Africa took all our time, thinking and resources.  Now that he's launched, we've got 7 more kids who need attention, too.  Who has time for all this?!

It's no wonder I go to bed early.

We're all on a fast of some kind now for the 3 months he's gone.  A financial fast for sure as he nearly killed us with all the last minute purchases.  We've asked the kids to come alongside us as all self-indulgences are on hold the entire time he's away - that includes coffee, fast food, restaurants, etc.  We had been stopping more than we ever did as we were always on the road this last month and were making purchases constantly.  Even if we packed food, we always went through it and had to stop for more.  That is OVER.  We are asking the kids to try and pretend they are in a third world where none of those conveniences exist.   It'll help them remember to pray for him each time they would normally stop and eat or buy something.  All healthy eating resumes....

Life continues, but it is different to have him away.  I've already thought I heard his voice,but it was my mind playing tricks on me.  I already imagined him in his bed sleeping this morning as I walked by, but he's not there.  Funny.  Fortunately, with 7 children still all around, I'm sure the time will pass quickly.  Hard to believe it'll be December before we see him again.  Living by faith is my fuel for sure.....

No comments:

Post a Comment