Tuesday 15 July 2014

Conquering Kingdoms, Stopping the Mouths of Lions, Quenching the Power of Fire

Today will be a huge outpouring of money......the dentist.  Somehow we found ourselves with three children in braces at the same time.  One child is already done braces, so that makes a total of four total.  Despite the healthier eating, sugar still creeps in there and we've had some unfortunate cavities, too.  We talk and joke with our kids that one will need to be a dentist, one a doctor, one an accountant, one a lawyer, one a vet, one a naturopath.....you get the idea.....but we're serious!!!!

I'm reminded once again of the story from Brother Andrew.  He and his new wife bought a home together, but didn't quite have all the funds.  They got an amazing deal on a very run down home.  In order to bring it all together, they borrowed a small sum from a godly friend and proceeded to pay it off as soon as they could.  During that period of three years, there was extra income it seemed just to be able to pay back the loan.  Sure enough, as soon as the loan was paid back, the extra sources of income just dried up.  That's kind of how it has been for us.  We've always been able to somehow pay the dentist bill even though it is so much!  I suppose on some level braces are always a luxury and borderline unnecessary, but in all four cases of our children, for some reason their top teeth just stop coming down!  All four children had teeth stuck in their gums not budging leaving spaces that looked like we were serious backwoods folk.  Sure, sure....in time they may have come down....in several years!  My one child was starting to get lots of questions, "What happened to your teeth, honey???  Did something happen?"  She was seriously becoming rather self-conscious!  We started the braces before we made the hard core financial decision to kill debt, but you can't exactly stop the process once you've started!  Our dentist is apparently giving us quite a deal and from comparing costs to others I think it's true, but nevertheless it is still very expensive and every time we go for an adjustment I just want to cry at the bill.  So, like I said, we're mid-process, we're somehow making it work...I tease the kids that it'll all be worth it in the end, braces will help them find spouses as teeth are usually a nice asset when people are looking for a partner!

But blessings continue to pour in.  I was talking with a friend about curriculum for the next school year and she had used the very one I was planning on purchasing.  I asked her if she was finished with it and would she mind if I bought it off of her.  She seemed open to working something out.  The next week I bugged her again and said I would like to buy it sooner than later because I wanted to plan my year during the summer, but needed to have it in hand in order to do that.  That's when she pulled the rug out from under me, "I'll give it to you.  You don't need to buy it and if and when I need it back you can return it to me then."  What?!  Immediately I was tearful (such a crybaby).  This is not a cheap curriculum.  I always buy it new as I just like new stuff and this was the first year I was being a little more responsible and was actually considering used, heaven forbid.  Then she goes and offers me free curriculum.  I was dumbfounded and so touched.  That's the Lord, that's how He works, isn't it?  Through fellow believers who are on the same journey.  She didn't have to do that.  I'm pretty sure she could have used the extra cash from me by buying it off of her, but she wouldn't hear of it.  I'm so grateful!

The battles haven't stopped in my head, but I find myself continuing to fight them head on, using Scripture, nipping things in the bud as soon as the battle starts.  A very simple phrase from Hebrews 11 has helped me so much this week.  It's still from the faith chapter.  I must simply "believe that He exists."  That's it.  I must believe He exists!  That is faith!  Verse one puts my whole struggle into words, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  I have no actual proof that what we're doing is going to go anywhere, that we'll ever get out of debt...except by faith, the assurance of things hoped for.  God does not walk into the kitchen each morning (while in some ways He does!) to give me a little pep talk.....no, it's a conviction of things not seen.  He simply isn't actually seen with my eyes.  Yet, by faith, I do hear Him each day, through His Word, through these incredible blessings, and I am in awe how by faith I do have assurance that we're going to make it, somehow, someday! 

Not seeing, in a way, makes it more of a challenge for sure, but God's Word promises He rewards those who diligently seek Him and I'm already seeing this worked out in my life.  Not unlike the many people listed in Hebrews, "who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighy in war, put foreign armies to flight"....I'm feeling like I am conquering kingdoms when I stop Satan's fiery darts.  I am obtaining promises already when I see God's blessing pour into my life daily.  I am stopping the mouths of lions when I don't give into despair.  I am quenching the power of fire when I remain positive in the face of looming financial pressure.  I am escaping the edge of the sword when I see my husband discouraged and I lift him up in prayer, refusing to cave into the discouragement and instead encourage him to fight on.  I am being made strong in my weakness and I am becoming mighty in war as I'm literally putting Satan to flight with my determination to fight his lame tactics.  It's exciting!  Now, I won't quote the rest of the chapter as it goes on to things I'd really rather not experience, like being mocked, flogged, chained, imprisoned, stoned, sawn in two, etc., etc....!  But, for now, I take heart in the encouragement I read in His Word and I trust him for my day ahead at the dentist - looking to Him to take care of our needs.  I really do think He cares for my children's teeth! 

1 comment: