Friday 9 January 2015

Cats, Birthdays and Future Spouses

Depending on the time of day, I love or hate cats.  Today, I hate them.  I don't usually stay up late, but I did last night talking with my husband and oldest daughter, but I had been up super early yesterday so I knew I would need to sleep in a bit today, perhaps all the way to 7 am!  But no, the cat who was stolen, which has since returned (of his own accord, I might add.....a story in itself), decided to wake up my two year old and the 4 year old this morning by going on their beds, I think anyway....All I know is there was screaming at a very not nice time of the morning and a criminal-type cat sneaking out of the room. I was so out of it.  I think I might have kicked a cat down the stairs as I saw it leaving the room.  I wanted to throw it. I tried so hard to settle them both back down, but it was no use.  One is now playing with Lego with me downstairs.  I did manage to convince the other one to sleep with his sister.  I feel rather awful and may need a coffee transfusion.  When will I get a chance to lie down today????  I'm already planning my nap.  Ah well, now that I have a few sips of coffee in me and I'm not as unconscious, I can actually be pleasant and happy around this fully awake boy!

Yesterday took a bit of a twist.  I was so certain my daughter would be thrilled with this idea of accompanying her dad and brothers on their Bible Quiz trip, but shockingly (the idea slipped out by accident a little earlier than planned), I could tell by the reaction on her face, it wasn't where she had hoped to go.  I kept praying.  How do I deal with this????  She was no longer a little girl who used to be content to have Grammy come over or a cousin or a friend.  Now it had to be something bigger. She had an idea in her mind that she wanted and I could tell that she was put out as it didn't look like she was going to get her way.  I didn't like what I was seeing in her.

I give great lectures!  I knew she didn't want or need a lecture, but at the same time, I knew if I didn't deal with this fast, she was going to be a monster.  Bless my mom's heart, she raised us all to love birthdays.  From the moment we woke up we felt special right until we fell asleep at night.  My husband wasn't exactly raised that way.  He remembers maybe one party?  I think he got one when he turned 10.  When we got married, I guess I hoped for a special day from the moment I woke up until I went to bed.  I didn't even know I had expectations until they weren't fulfilled.  Oops.

Then kids came along.  Same thing.  I wanted to recreate what I had experienced and make them feel special all day and to some extent I think I was successful except that it appears things may have back-fired a bit judging by my daughter's reactions.  That's when it hit me yesterday.  She's got to nip this in the bud now or she'll have birthday/marriage tension as she may marry someone who has never had a birthday his whole life!

We talked.  I explained God knew from the beginning of time that her birthday was going to be the same day of the quiz meet.  I told her that perhaps God was trying to take the selfishness out of her this year by allowing that to be the first act of her 17th year.  She was holding on so tightly to her rights.  I explained she had to let go now for the sake of the whole family, for the sake of a future spouse and for her own happiness!  Nothing will truly satisfy except God.  Not even the birthday weekend of the century will bring true happiness.  When all is said and done, she'll still be discontent and will always long for more if she doesn't get a grip on her selfishness now!

We prayed.  Her siblings prayed for her.  It was sweet.  But deep down, of course, I still wanted her to be happy and, of course, I still wanted her to be blessed.  So I kept praying for her all day.  Then I got a call out of the blue from Stephanie, my bffc (best friend forever cousin!) saying she wanted to do something for her on the day.  That was perfect!  So, on the day of the quiz meet, Stephanie is going to show up and take her out - another neat answer to prayer.  Then, shortly after, my mom called.  I explained the situation and she gave the perfect advice, confirming what I had been thinking...allowing my daughter to spend time with one of the girls from Bible Quizzing as we'd all be together the next morning as a family.  That made my daughter super happy.  So once again, in a very short period of time, all was resolved again.  My daughter had gone through a life lesson in one day learning to let her birthday expectations be given to God, allowing Him to work out all details of her life.  It may seem like a small thing, but anyone who is married and loves birthdays, knows this is no small thing.  One day her husband will thank me....


1 comment:

  1. Cute ending Paula - raw beginning dealing with those darn interruptive cats....and beautiful working out of the Lord who factors in every detail as you wrote out. PTL. She is under your wise tutlege and protection which later will serve her well. God blesses obedience as is reminded to us over and over through out scripture. You encourage us with your references to life in the past, glad it's mostly positive. oxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete