Monday 7 December 2015

The Lord's Release

Lego isn't just a simple toy anymore.  You can also build robots with it and enter competitions where the robot has to accomplish "missions"!  That's what 3 of my children were doing this weekend and they picked up 3rd place out of about 20 teams!  They would argue they should have come in 2nd, but there was some technicality that eliminated them from going on to the provincials.  They were so disappointed!  Another great life lesson though - how to lose graciously, even though, in my opinion they hardly lost!

Still in Deuteronomy...I've read this verse before in the Maxwell's book Buying a House Debt-Free, but I've never read it in the actual context.  Moses is talking about the "Sabbatical Year", which I feel we might be in (depending on how you calculate it.....).  He makes some remarkable statements, which I'll write out, but first what always strikes me is the condition, "....if only you will strictly obey the voice of the Lord your God, being careful to do all this commandment that I command you today."  God wants us to strictly obey.  I don't think that is legalism.  I think that is wisdom!  It is a very hard thing to do, but that is just because we are so prone to wander.  But when I read the other part of the verse, it is a very good motivator,

"For the Lord your God will bless you, as He promised you, and you shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow, and you shall rule over many nations, but they shall not rule over you." (Deut. 15:6)

The comparison is clear - those who borrow are not seen as a strong nation, but a weak one, one that is ruled over (like being owned by a bank).  How clear that is to us!  We do not feel strong at all in this situation.  The bank rules over us.  I would much rather be in the driver's seat, so to speak, able to lend, not borrow, able to rule, not be ruled over.

The chapter that includes that verse begins with the description of the Sabbatical Year.  The seventh year is a beautiful picture of freedom, "At the end of every seven years you shall grant a release.  And this is the manner of the release:  every creditor shall release what he has lent to his neighbour.  He shall not exact it of his neighbour, his brother because the Lord's release has been proclaimed." (Deut. 15:1,2)

The Lord's release has been proclaimed!  I should really run this verse down to the bank and show it to them.  I don't think they know it!  But even if I did, I think they would look at me with a strange expression and quietly call security.  So, instead, I thank God for showing it to me.  I ask Him to help us follow His way with our money, as strictly as we know how, and I trust Him for His release, when He so chooses. 

1 comment: