Monday 13 January 2014

Running the Race to Win!

Good morning! 


First, a quick update on the detox that is still going on - Renaissance Man is already down 5 lbs. in just one week.   He's seeing numbers on the scale he hasn't seen since before we were married.  I am down only a couple, but don't have as much to lose as him.  Both of us are completely off caffeine (for now, anyway) and were able to do it without any headaches as we slowly took ourselves off.  That is the only way, from what I hear, to avoid the caffeine withdrawal headaches.  The kids did remarkably well last week, but took a break on the weekend due to all the festivities.  RM and I were still really careful with what we ate or drank.  RM's fitness is easy - it's just his work!  His current project requires him to lift 1000s of lbs. of steel all the time, so there's his weights!  Running around and feeding the animals gives him some cardio (well, sort of), so he doesn't need to join any gym.  I took some time off at Christmas from exercising, but am back at it - weights, cardio, the basics.


We're going to continue on, though technically the ten days are nearly over, and try to maintain staying off all the bad stuff, resorting to them as treats once in awhile.  As long as I have a meal plan each day and a snack plan, everyone is good.  It is definitely a bit more work, but I am trying to view this as long-term thinking again.  In other words, invest the time now and we'll benefit, the kids will benefit, with better health, better habits, in the future.


Our gluten-sensitive daughter is doing much better.  She once in awhile takes a little just because we always think maybe, just maybe, it isn't gluten - but sure enough, within minutes now, she feels so sick that she is often tearful, so it just isn't worth it.


I just really love how this newest journey parallels the debt journey as well.  We're anticipating the first little bit of weight to come off quite quickly.  It's like paying off the little debts first - no problem!  But then, the larger chunks of weight, like the mortage, will probably take a few months, or even up to a year, as the weight wasn't acquired overnight.  It took years to put on, just like the big debt.  It'll come off slower.  However, it could come off more quickly with seriously, outrageously healthy eating and seriously outrageously diligent fitness, just like debt can be attacked with gazelle (or in our case, cheetah) intensity.  Debt can be cleared with a detox, too, just of a different nature!  We detoxed our life of all the things that were hindering us from making progress.


Two verses come to mind, Hebrews 12:1,  "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us..."


We are trying to run with that endurance.  How can you run a race with all the extra weight - financial or physical?  Can't do it.


Also, 1 Cor. 9:24, "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize?  So run that you may obtain it."  That's us!  We are running to obtain the prize!  You'd be so impressed if you saw RM and how incredibly disciplined he's being.  He's eating less than I am and because he's seeing results so quickly, he's motivated to press on.  He literally only eats what I give him or what I tell him.  There are no more two servings, no more junky snacks.  He's impressing me and even himself!  To God be the glory!


Vs. 26 goes on, "So, I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  But I discipline my body and keep it under control..."


We are not running aimlessly - we are attempting, with God's help, to discipline our physical bodies and our financial bodies.  If and when the cravings come for the sweet stuff, we are literally trying to take it as a wake up call to fast and pray for our situation, so there are so many levels as this is definitely a spiritual exercise for us as well.


One final thought on discouragement and pennilessness - I'm really loving it!  What?!  How can this be possible?!  I'm truly beginning to see what Paul meant when he said, "When I am weak, he is strong."  I had an embarrassingly pathetic struggle on Friday, when RM was going to take our daughter out for lunch with the gift card he had.  You see, that gift card, was supposed to be for me (and RM ideally - i.e. a date night!).  I was holding on pretty tightly to that and was feeling a little sorry for myself knowing I'd be missing out (and RM would be benefitting instead!)  RM saw this and looked at me with a gentle "Seriously?  Get over yourself look".  I took the rebuke and walked away thinking, "Of course, time with her Dad, who wouldn't want their daughter to have that - it's so rare, it's a great opportunity."  The pathetic moment was over and I dropped it knowing I was being rather selfish.  After that, I was quite happy for her and in fact, started suggested where they should go out, etc.


Then, who I like to call my BFFC (best friend forever cousin), came over.  We haven't seen each other in weeks.  Normally we connect weekly for prayer and conversation, but with Christmas, etc., we just hadn't been able to connect.  She passed me a card with a gift inside.  What was it?  Of course - a gift card to a restaurant I've been dying to try!  It was enough for RM and I to go out, just the two of us, and she even offered to watch the kids.  It was too much - I was teary instantly.  How did she know?  Well, she didn't of course - it was the Lord's mercy once again being extended to me.  She later said that she had tried multiple times to come by before the holidays, during the holidays, but it never seemed to work out.  I got it just when I needed it most.  This is why I am thankful for discouragement and having little money!  It really gives God an opportunity to shine down on me and lift me out of the pit.  If I had money falling out of my pockets and no trials in my life, would I acknowledge God as much?  I'm afraid I probably wouldn't, so this period of my life is becoming one of my richest spiritually as I see him blessing me, speaking to me, speaking to others on my behalf - it's just been amazing.


It goes back to being thankful in EVERYTHING, because the miracle is imminent.  Can't wait to go out for dinner!  Thanks BFFC (and hubby) - you guys are awesome!

3 comments:

  1. Hello dear daughter, love hearing how God is providing looking at today, Fri. in particular. He wants to bless us and it is true to remember the principle of 'when I am weak, then I am strong' because of Him. we love you, oxoxo mom/dad oxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful testimony of the heart of God...He loves us so much and delights in giving good gifts to His children. I love the verses you quote too...I think I am going to copy them out and tape them to my fridge! ~CH

    ReplyDelete