Thursday 30 January 2014

Two Blind Men and Eight Kids

Two Blind Men Receive Sight

29 As Jesus and his disciples were leaving Jericho, a large crowd followed him. 30 Two blind men were sitting by the roadside, and when they heard that Jesus was going by, they shouted, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!”
31 The crowd rebuked them and told them to be quiet, but they shouted all the louder, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us!”
32 Jesus stopped and called them. “What do you want me to do for you?” he asked.
33 “Lord,” they answered, “we want our sight.”
34 Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him.

One of the really sweet things I love to take advantage of with homeschooling is that I can stop everything on a dime and call for prayer!

Normally we start our school day with prayer and Bible Study of some kind, but with this extreme weather, everyone has been staying in their rooms under their covers and literally doing school in bed.  In a way, I don't mind as then I can get stuff done in the kitchen or laundry, etc. and then focus more on the little ones.

Yesterday the cold was worse than ever it seemed - another burst pipe in the kitchen, no water coming out of the tub faucets (in spite of the fact a hole had been cut into the drywall last week to stuff in more insulation) more plumbing, another whole morning where my husband thought he would be working in his office, but found himself on the floor of our kitchen replacing pipes - again.  My 5 year old innocently asked, "Don't you think we should call in a plumber?"   - My husband just looked at her, "I AM the plumber"  (and a much better one than most, I might add, as he was there fixing it instantly - I didn't have to wait all day, bless him.)

Around 10 am, the kids start congregating, looking for a snack.  I can't believe how much my kids eat in the morning!  They seem to be completely empty. So, popcorn gets made, or they eat leftover oatmeal (yuck, but the little ones like it!  I don't question them!)  I stopped and quickly said, "Everyone in the family room!"

I wanted to grab my opportunity for prayer and Bible Study.  We follow the Bible League's reading schedule, so whatever day of the month it is, we read that section of Scripture and then I walk them through how I would study it, so they can start to pick up on what true Bible Study is.  They are great at reading it for the sake of saying, "I read through the Bible", but I know that they need to learn to make it their own.  One of them was going to bed last night, so I asked him if he was going to read first and he said, "Yes, I've got to get through Leviticus!  I can't stand that book!"   Then he and his younger brother start joking about how many days you have to be separated when you are unclean - who knew Leviticus could be funny.

So yesterday's section was much longer then just the few verses above, but I went right to the small section on the blind men.

Again, a story we've all read many times before, but yesterday it was such a rich time of study and discussion.

These were some of the things we talked about.

Two men sitting by the roadside.  A normal activity, I said, just sitting, as we were in the family room together.  Something these two men probably did everyday, just as we try to, but when they heard Jesus was walking by, what do they do, but cry out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on us."  I asked them why they thought that additional "Son of David" phrase was included.  We figured it was another way to identify him, that they knew he wasn't just some guy, but had a special identity.  They didn't even know what the future held for Jesus and how he would become known as much more than just the Son of David.  He would become known as our Saviour!  We had the added benefit of knowing he'd die and leave this world, sending the Holy Spirit to be our Helper.  We could add many phrases on to his name if it were to be us crying out, "Lord, our most faithful provider, our patient deliverer, our constant companion, have mercy on us!"

But the blind men were told to be silent, to shut up.  They were rebuked.  I asked the kids if that happens to us.  They said yes.  Who tells us to be quiet?  The world.  People who don't want to know what we are doing as far as getting rid of debt is concerned because a lot of the time we bug them! Who else, I asked.  Satan. He always tells us to be quiet.  He doesn't want us to cry out.  He doesn't want us to believe in Jesus' name.  He wants us to doubt that he'll provide or that he even cares.

But the two men didn't listen to the voices in their ears.  They completely ignored them and cried out again, even louder!  "Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on us!"

Then Jesus stopped.  I love that.  He stopped.  He called out to them "What do you want me to do for you?"  He gave them a chance to tell him - exactly what they hoped for!  He calls out to us, too, "What do you want me to do for you?"  Oh, so many things!!!!

Such a simple response, "Lord, we want our sight."  Of course, I asked the kids what would we ask?  Lord, help us get rid of our debt.  Help Dad finish his work on time.  Help us get through this cold winter with no insulation on the entire first floor!  Help us find a way to protect our home for future winters.   Help us in our school work when we just don't understand our math! Help us be obedient (they were speaking for people 3 and under who weren't answering quite how I hoped!)  

What a great moment, a rich time of discussion.  I saw their eyes open to how scripture can apply to them.

The story has such a happy ending.  Jesus had compassion on them - beautiful.  Lord, have compassion on us, we prayed.  Jesus immediately restored their sight and they followed him.  I explained how in this case it was immediate.  It might not be for us, but we can still ask, we can still tell him our heart's desires.  And we must continue to follow him, no matter what.

So then, I told each child one thing they could pray for, in addition to their own personal requests, and they all went around one by one praying for freedom from debt, for Dad and his work, for help in our schoolwork, for our home and our need for warmth and protection (we went through an entire tank of fuel this month in the shortest time ever - a matter of 3 weeks as opposed to well over a month - that is over $700 - yikes!)

And then, just like that, it was back to school.  On with our day, but re-energized, re-focused, and encouraged.  He cared about blind men that the world told to shut up.  He had compassion on them.  We will continue to cry out as we sit along the roadside, just like them.

2 comments:

  1. Great analogy and I love how the kids are picking up your passion for the Word. The prayers of those little ones are going to make big things happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Heather! Thanks for your feedback! Glad you found us again! P

      Delete