Tuesday 4 March 2014

Hope is Found through Fasting

Why am I writing these stories?  I want it to be as if you were in my living room, sitting across from me.  If I knew there was a challenge in your life, or if there were any way I could encourage you, I would probably first start off with my own personal stories.  If that wasn't enough, I would probably immediately think of someone else who had gone through a tough time, but had come through it and I would share how this was possible for them.  That is what I am doing here - you are in my "blogging room".  I'm simply longing to encourage anyone out there who is struggling with discouragement, who thinks there is no hope, to listen to these stories and to feel an renewed sense of hope and anticipation.  I long to point others to the only source of true hope, Christ.  When I asked my friend if I could share her story, that was her desire, too - she hoped that it would encourage someone else through a tough time, too.  Read on.....

I listened to my good friend share on the phone her struggles.  Things were not going well for their family financially.  Not unlike so many of us trying to do the right things, they were being frugal, not spending, no vacations, etc., but her husband could not find work, nothing was selling in the real estate business they were in, and there was no work on the side to be found.  A new baby had just been born that brought tremendous joy, of course, but had resulted in huge medical bills because of all the care this mom had needed to keep the baby from miscarrying throughout her entire pregnancy.  I knew her stress and prayed for her over the phone. She had done this for me when I had been in distress only a couple years back.  Then, it occurred to me - she and her husband needed to fast! They needed to do this together.  I encouraged her with the idea, suggesting the things she could be fasting for - direction for her husband and his work, praying for provision for the family and the ability to cover their bills...basically asking, begging God to step in and show Himself to them through this very difficult time.  I knew Valentine's was coming up, so I suggested that would be the end time!  She seemed open to the idea, so I left it with her, not knowing what God was going to do.  In man's eyes, their situation seemed pretty scary and hopeless.  I prayed to myself, "Lord, please intervene!"

It wasn't long after this that RM ended up in their house with my 4 boys and a broken down truck, remember that?  I only see this friend maybe once a year, so seeing them like that was highly unusual, but gave Renaissance Man an opportunity to talk and pray with her husband.  By this point, their fast had started, so miracle number one had just occurred.

After that, I hadn't had a chance to be in touch with her - I very rarely get on the phone these days, let alone the computer (unless it is early in the morning like now!).  But then, I got a call from her last week - boy, did she ever sound different!  She sounded so up and so positive!  What was going on?

She quickly shared all that God had done.  Out of the blue a family member had called asking how they were doing.  She had been honest with them told them where they were at.  Within a few hours this family member had given them a gift of money, no strings attached, to cover their bills and then some - this was highly unusual for this person!  Then, she told me how, out of the blue her husband had sold 3 houses in a row!  It went from nothing for weeks, if not months, to 3 in a row!  Then, she and her husband listed his ability to renovate on the internet and within 10 minutes of the listing, he got a call and now has a job doing renovations for someone!  Not only all of this, but another good friend of hers just showed up at her door with bags of clothing for her children that she had needed to buy, but couldn't, in all the right sizes and styles! Is this not a story about the unbelievable faithfulness of God stepping into a family's life and answering persevering prayer? I think so.

I believe God allows these very hard situations in our life as he longs to build up our faith.  Isn't that James 1:2-4 coming to life,  "Count it all joy, my brothers,[b] when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."  Sometimes our lives need a little testing of our faith.  We do not like this and we fight it, but we are really supposed to consider it joy!  By praying through the the trials, and in this case, fasting as well, these friends of mine had steadfastness produced in their lives!  God wants their faith to be lacking in nothing!  Their trials would have been pointless if they had not gained their full effect.  The reason I suggested fasting as well as praying at the time was because the burden was so great.  It seemed to me, because it was impacting the two of them on a marital level, that a fast they could do together would be very significant.  It turns out it was.  It affirmed that her husband was in the right line of work, both real estate-wise and renovation-wise.  When work doesn't come, sometimes we start to doubt our chosen careers - by God's very specific answers to them, I feel God was affirming her husband's career and that they were, in fact, in God's will.  The financial bondage wasn't entirely lifted, but the pressure was taken off so that they could breathe again.  God knows how quick we are to forget him and he has a way of keeping us on our knees.  God also used unusual sources to provide for them, an unlikely family member and a friend who "just happened" to work at a place where clothes came in for donation.

Of course, there has to be a caution....there might be some wife out there who will hold this idea over her husband's head as a way of avoiding her husband in the name of "spirituality".  This is not what I am suggesting with this fast.  This type of fast is to be entered into willingly by both the husband and wife and only for an agreed upon period of time, so please don't turn this on me and make into a one-sided fast.  That is certainly not what I am suggesting.  Ok...caution over.


If you find yourself in a situation that you think could merit a fast, but your husband is nowhere near the idea, that is a point of prayer in itself.  I have a number of friends who pray and fast independently of their husbands as this idea of fasting is completely foreign to them.  Be patient.  If it is something the Lord wants in your life, it'll come in time.


This Wednesday, I'm not making it up this time, is truly Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent - 40 days before Easter.  Consider a fast - in the name of breaking a bond in your life or seeking Christ's freedom that He brings because of Easter.  It is meant to be a time of spiritual preparation as the day approaches.  What a way to prepare for the celebration - constantly focusing on Him and thanking Him for the very ability to approach Him in prayer.  It might not be food - it could be sacrificing sleep - that is what I am doing.  My daughter and I are planning on getting up very early and working out every single day for the forty days. "What kind of a fast is that!?"  you might be asking.  Trust me, it won't be easy.  I often plan on working out, but it just doesn't happen.  I'm even hesitating to write it down as I don't want to be held to it!  But my daughter is pretty focused, so if she says she'll do something, she usually does it.  I might regret this.  During this time I'll be continuing to pray for the health of one of my kids as well.  I'll also be continuing to pray for financial freedom of course and anything else the Lord reveals to me.  I love Easter.  I love what it symbolizes - the new season, new life in nature, but especially the resurrection power that accompanies this celebration.  I want to tap into that resurrection power, don't you?


No comments:

Post a Comment