Friday 3 February 2017

Establish the Work of Our Hands

What a different day yesterday was....a little reinforcement by Dad, up early, more reinforcement by Dad.....ha.....things go amazingly smoother with early rising when I want the kids to and when they follow the schedule I've made not the one they want.  I always tell them, "That's why you have a mommy.  If you didn't have a mommy, then you would lie in bed, all day or watch t.v. all day or eat ice-cream all day.....get it?"  So today, back at it....

Ps. 90 writes how I feel sometimes, that it feels like it is all in vain, staying home, homeschooling....for what?  "....we bring our years to an end like a sigh....The  years of our life are seventy, or even by reason of strength eighty; yet their span is toil and trouble; they are soon gone, and we fly away....."  Of course, anyone could look at their life and think that way.  The difference is a believer has an eternal perspective.  It is not in vain, even if we feel like that sometimes.  We cannot act on our feelings.  And the very next verse says how we should behave instead, "So, teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom."  Even if we have a short life or it seems like it is all in vain, it is not.  So we must do what we can with the short time that we have...no matter what.

And, just to reinforce this, the Psalmist (which my Bible indicates it was Moses who wrote Ps. 90) says, "Let the favour of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands, yes, establish the work of our hands!"  I always use that verse as an encouragement to other moms when I give the seminars on chores and scheduling that we must cry out to the Lord to bless all the work we do.  Only He can do that.

In light of that, last night I feel God did just that...we were able to successfully send off my son's final transcript to the schools he's applied to.  What a process that was, but now we leave it in God's hands, to establish the work of our hands.  It was actually a really neat process as it required that we go through his entire high school career here at home and when you do that you can't help but reflect on every single thing you've ever done together or what you've watched him do on his own or initiatives he's taken that were completely his with no input from me....I was amazed (and dare I say, proud?) of all that my son has done.  I had been worried, but that is always because I'm looking at things through the lens of my highschool experience.  His experience is so different from mine.  It's like comparing apples to oranges, but because it's all I know I can't help it.  Once I stopped the comparing and just looked at him and him alone, suddenly I saw I shouldn't have ever been concerned.  He's actually done more than the high school diploma required of him!  We had to cut courses out as he had too many!  Was he sitting in a desk all the time finishing paperwork?  No, but he was starting businesses, working alongside his dad's businesses, volunteering way more than the required 40 hours for high school, getting life experience you just don't get typically get, and all the while completing the necessary book work.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but now I'm actually glad we had to hand-make his transcript, the very thing I dreaded and wished I never had to do, because it has been so reaffirming of the path we chose for him and now that's it done, the next child will be a walk in the park!

What will his path be for the fall?  I don't know, but I keep the anxious thoughts at bay with Scripture, still from Ps. 90, "Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children."  I know my son's times are in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment