Tuesday 21 February 2017

I'm a Rocker Chick

It turns out we ended up having a spontaneous date on Sunday night.  First, the background story....My husband is a rocker at heart.  Loves guitars, music, sound.....all the old bands had it the best apparently.  He'll check in with his favourite bands once in awhile.  He's been following one band for a while and tried all summer to get me to go last year, but there was always a conflict, like a wedding, or something like that.  I wasn't that interested and could never justify the extra cost.

Then he found out that they were going to be back in town....this weekend.  But their concert was sold out.  So he checked out kijiji to see if any tickets were listed on-line.  There were!  O happy day! I still could have cared less.  I didn't know any of their songs and I really didn't have much of an interest, didn't even know who they were, but he just kept asking and asking me!  Again, I kept thinking to myself....extra cost, no interest...how do I justify it?

But then....I remembered a veteran homeschool mom who shared at a homeschool conference a year ago or so that her husband would once in awhile just want to do something fun or go out for dinner or bless her in some way and she would always say, "No......it costs too much money.  We shouldn't go." And they wouldn't.  She could always tell it disappointed her and eventually he just didn't ask anymore. It was one of her biggest regrets because she was really acting out of martyrdom more than anything. Deep down, I think she wanted to go, but she denied herself, and her husband, and her family, perhaps for the wrong reasons.  She wished she'd said yes more.  I also kept thinking about my husband who had worked all week, as well as all weekend long.....this could be something fun that he could look forward to.  I would still have fun as we would be together.  He could teach me about the music, the band, the sound, their instruments.  He loves doing that!  We would probably enjoy a bite to eat before, which is my favourite thing to do.  It would also give me something to look forward to, PLUS we would just be together!  That is always fun!  So, the next time he came in with his, "What should we do" eyes.    I said, "Let's go!  Try to get tickets!"  He nearly jumped out of his skin, "Really?!"  He was so excited and for the next few hours did his best to try to snag some tickets. We decided we would make it work financially by denying ourselves all sorts of things like food and water or whatever cost money for the next few weeks so it wouldn't cost us too much.  He ended up making a deal with a guy on-line, met him, picked up the tickets......and then I got a text, "Get your rocker chick clothes on!"

Off we went....I have to say...it was very fun.  We had a great time hanging out with all sorts of old people who also loved this band (Big Wreck is the name of the band).  The few young people who were there probably liked them as it is considered "Vintage"!  So that makes it cool to like the old guys.  I don't have an appreciation for good guitar playing, but this was amazing....they were unbelievably talented.  Guitar solo after guitar solo....I don't know how they make their fingers do it. People sang along to every song.  It was a beautiful venue so that made it feel a little classier. Although, it was hardly a "break" as we stood on our feet the whole time!

I think the moral of the story is, no regrets.  Going to see this band made my husband so happy! We don't have to do everything that just makes me happy.  Teaching me about the band, their history, their music, their style, their sound, made me further understand and appreciate my husband's interests.  That made him happy, to know I care about things he cares about.  Did I benefit?  Of course!  I had so much fun being with him.  It doesn't really matter what we do, it's just fun being together!  I didn't want to be like that vet mom who regretted saying no.  I think my husband would have been so disappointed.  And, again, deep down, my reasons for saying no would have been out of martyrdom as I really did want to go.  I just wasn't sure how to justify the expense.  Coming up with a way to make it work helped me say yes.

Our kids thought is was great.  They see so much sadness around them all the time now in their friend's lives.  Seeing their parents have fun and act like their 20 makes them feel confident in their parent's relationship.  And, whoa, we were up till MIDNIGHT!!!  Talk about crazy!?  Ha!  (Except that is crazy as I go to bed so early these days....)  So Valentine's Day is not just about the 14th.....thinking about the other person, trying to keep love alive all year long....that's more what it should be about....

1 comment:

  1. Love it, love it - good for you. If we think about the other person more, life would be better for everyone...and you left tracks for your kids as a great example.Even us as vintage know nothing of or heard of Big wreck - so funny. You doing this were reflective of wanting to follow the Lord wholeheartedly even when all fingers did not point to something for you. Bless you. You honored RM - God honors obedience. oxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete