Tuesday 14 February 2017

The Choice to be a Saint

I've wanted to read about Richard Wurmbrand for some time.  I could never get my hands on any of his books, but then I went down to our church library and found that they had a couple of things he had written.  Wurmbrand is the found of Voice of the Martyrs.  He died in 2001.  He's most famous for his book Tortured for Christ that explains how he was imprisoned for 14 years in Romania for his Christian beliefs, most of the time spent in solitary confinement.

While he was in prison he wrote many sermons and has since published those as well.  The book I'm currently reading is called In the Face of Surrender,  It's always so good to read from people who have truly suffered as it quickly puts into perspective what I think is suffering in my life.  I soon realize it is nothing compared to what the underground church has gone through and is still going through around the world.  Only someone like him can truly address it.  People have to listen to him as he has lived real suffering.  Listen to me?  Not likely.

His insights are amazing.  He tries to make it apply to those in any situation, not just those who are suffering in solitary confinement like he went through.  He said, "But though God in His providence may have allowed me to pass through trials and tribulations, how I react to them is up to me."  So simple, but so profound.

His time in jail was where he composed around 350 poems as well as his book of sermons.  He compared himself to Paul the apostle who wrote 4 of his epistles while in jail.  He commented that Paul's letters "contain many prayers, but not one for his release."  He said out of all his own poems and sermons that he wrote, "not one shows a desire to be rid of my chains."  Others who suffered in jail and wrote of their suffering also composed poems and songs.  He wrote, they "were all full of the joy produced by the suffering for a glorious cause."

This gave me a lot to think about as that's what I do pray for A LOT.  He continued, "The majority of our prayers are usually for the release from difficult situations.  But why should I pray to be released from an unhappy marriage, from the brutality of a parent, from a child who breaks my heart, or from other miseries?"  His challenge continued, "Concern for others drowns out your own troubles.  Focus on God as the saints in prison do and you will know that heavenly peace comes from patient cross-bearing."  

I almost had to stop reading.  What he was suggesting was really not humanly possible, but perhaps that is my problem?  I'm looking at it humanly speaking.  He knows this is a difficult challenge, so he goes light on us.  He says, "Deny yourself for a period the food you love most, or some luxury in clothing, and think of those who eat unbearable food and are in rags.  Interrupt your sleep for prayer on behalf of those interrogated during the night.  Give up some item of cosmetics for those who cannot even wash.  Renounce an hour of television for those who for years have been in solitary confinement in underground cells and see nothing.  Try to be silent for a day in order to empathize with the solitary, who cannot speak to anyone for years.  Sacrifice your complaining and grumbling for one day.  Take time from other preoccupations to pray for the persecuted."

The last challenge is probably the hardest - no complaining or grumbling????  Forget it!  I love to complain and grumble!  Oh, I see...I really do love to complain and grumble!  How awful!  It's like I said, he quickly puts into perspective how pathetic our little situations are compared to those around the world.

Am I strong enough to be like Paul and not pray for release from difficulties?  I'm not sure.  Can I embrace my challenges and be so full of the joy of the Lord that I instead ask for more suffering in order to be more like Christ?  Well......I sure have a lot of excuses why I can't.  So, I'll start with baby steps.  I'll try to complain and grumble less.  I'll be as thankful as I can for where I find myself as there is so much to be thankful for.  I'll stop looking at my situation and start praying for those who are in truly difficult situations.  I think I would be lying if I didn't still want release and complete financial freedom, but that may not be what God wants for me.

Like I said, a real challenge.  The title of that chapter was "A Choice to be a Saint."  I have to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment