Wednesday 25 February 2015

Give Me This Day, My Daily Bread

Manna for today.  That is all He has promised us.  Our daily bread.  I know this, but I guess yesterday I was a little like the Israelites that wanted the manna for that day and a little extra in store for the days coming up where I didn't think manna would be coming.  It must have been a faith walk for them, in a way, too, as yes, the manna would fall each day, but what if it didn't one day?  It wouldn't hurt to have a little in storage, would it?  But then that manna would go mouldy.  They weren't trusting God for the next day.

Yesterday we had enough "manna" to pay for some books we had ordered for the seminar I was giving this weekend.  We had not taken into account the massive difference in the American dollar and the exchange rate made it one whopping bill.  We had to pay, the books had been shipped! But RM knew, that is definitely going to leave us short for the end of the month.  He said, "I'm paying this by faith."  I was good with that as I didn't want to have a bad account with a Christian company! I was actually happier to not know how we would pay something else than have a bad account with a brother.

Nevertheless, not knowing what we'll do for the rest of the month which just happens to be over in a matter of days, didn't leave me feeling very good.  The hay is almost all gone, so that source of income is disappearing fast, if not gone.  The other work my husband has won't pay for months.  The money we are due came, but was spoken for immediately.  The other money due is not coming for who knows what reason.  I tried the "fake it till you make it" type faith where you just tell yourself, "All will work out", but I still felt I needed an extra prayer warrior.  My parents are our greatest support and I knew they were already praying knowing the cheque we are waiting on hadn't come in from a major contract so I sent an extra email to my friend who is on the Lent journey with me as well as Stephanie, my bffc.

Both friends emailed immediately sharing great encouragement with me (why do we do things alone when we have the body of Christ?) as well as great answers to prayer in my friend's life who is committed to making things work in her marriage.  Stephanie included a wonderful verse that I thought about the rest of the day,

2 Kings 25:30
And his allowance was a continual allowance given him of the king, a daily rate for every day, all the days of his life.
Do you see those phrases that talk about God's provision?  "A continual allowance" (manna, provision, daily bread?), "given him by the king (could that be God in my situation?), "a daily rate" (just enough), "for every day" (not missing a day), "all the days of his life" (God knows our needs every single day of my life).  That is what is happening over here.  We are getting what we need for every day, no more.  What would a life of faith be without needing to exercise that faith?  If I knew for sure when we would get that cheque, I never would have sent out an email asking for prayer.  I never would have prayed the way I've been praying.  It keeps me on my knees for sure, this day to day existence!  Thank you, Stephanie, for the great reminder!  He's given me what I need for today. I can't help but remember the rest of the verse in Matthew that says, "Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself."  Well, tomorrow is now today, but I'm still not allowed to worry about today. Lesson #5?  He gives us our daily bread.
So this Friday my husband is planning on heading up to pick up the cheque, as he has planned to do many times which coincidentally is the 2nd last day of the month, talking about going right down to the wire!  He's also heading up there to fix a quick problem with the system they've installed. This should work in his favour as he's told the people there, "No cheque, no fix."  Ok, perhaps not quite in those words, but that's what he's tried to communicate and I think they understand the cheque better be ready. 
I thought about not writing any of this down as it reveals our financial situation to some degree. Pride keeps me from sharing sometimes what is truly going on over here, but then I thought, no, the whole reason I started this blog in the first place is to keep a written record of how God works in our life, how He provides.  May He get all the glory as my story gets unfolded before my very eyes....on a daily basis.


No comments:

Post a Comment