Tuesday 17 February 2015

The Lent Challenge

Today we will be taken out of hot water once again by a hay delivery!  We had had two hay cancellations last week which would have had us "relaxed" over the weekend, i.e., we wouldn't have been as stressed about all the automatic payments that were about to come out....but with those cancellations, we had an option:  be stressed over the weekend, or not.  We chose to not be.  And, sure enough, RM got calls about more hay deliveries which will cover all the automatics.  Then, the cheque should arrive and we will be good!

I used to see that as a stressful experience, but now it is just a natural part of our faith walk.  Always waiting on the Lord to see how He will come through.  We are struck by the phrase I mentioned last week and say it all the time now, "But if not".....God doesn't have to get us out of hot water, but it has been our experience that He is so faithful, so gracious, so merciful and has proved Himself to be all those things all the time, so we do believe He will take care of us, "but if not", we will continue to see even the hot water as a way that God is pruning us.

God knows how quick we are to forget Him, so He keeps giving us gentle ways to remind us, "Hello! I'm the one who is your Provider!"

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent (if I'm correct!) - the next period of days (I think it adds up to a little more than 40 days because of not including Sundays?) is usually the time of preparation before Easter where typically you can choose to give something up as a way of focusing your thoughts towards Christ and what He has done for us.  That's what I think it is anyway!  I'm sure there is a more Roman Catholic take on it that is based more on tradition, but if I choose to give something up, then it will be because of a focus on Christ.

This year, I've continued to have many conversations with friends about fasting and the power of prayer.  Are you allowed to enjoy fasting?  I don't mean enjoy with pleasure, because fasting is not fun, but I love to see God work - in my life, other's lives who have never fasted before, etc.  That's what I mean by enjoy.

Recently, I was talking with another friend who did not like the idea of fasting and she admitted it. She wondered, in fact, if she could add something, not necessarily take away (are you reading this, good friend?  Here's my plan!)  I told her ideally it would be to give something up.  I think you could only add something, like eating healthy, if it meant giving up, say, sugar.  But, in the name of supporting my friend, who is longing for breakthrough in her life, I told her, "Name the date and I'll do it with you."

Then, I remembered Ash Wednesday - what better day to start, ending Easter Sunday - the symbol of the greatest breakthrough of all time!  So that's what I'll be emailing her today.  I will start on Ash Wednesday and end at Easter.  My husband is game, too.  He and I will do this together as we are continuing to pray for direction and leading in many areas of our life not just financial, though, that is a main focus for us.  I will be praying for her as well and basically anything else God puts on my heart specifically during that time.  I'm excited about it and yet, I know, it will be longer than I think!




No comments:

Post a Comment