Monday 24 February 2014

Fasting - Untying the Cords of the Yoke - Part 1

Over the past few months, I have referred to fasting more than once as something I've done or something others I know have done.  Perhaps this is a new concept to someone out there.  I am not a theologian by any stretch of the imagination, but I thought I'd give what little knowledge I do have and some of my experience with fasting.


The first time I fasted was back in university.  I had been meeting regularly with an older, more mature Christian woman.  We would meet and pray together each week, sometimes even going out to share our faith on campus.  As my fourth and final year of school approached, I was wondering what I would do after school finished if I didn't get into Teacher's College, where I had applied.  From 1st year on, I knew teaching was what I wanted to do.  All my experience during my younger years pointed in this direction, so from then on, I geared all my classes and volunteer work, to getting into an education program....somewhere.  Seemed easy enough except that my marks weren't in the high 90s.  I had excellent experience, but fairly average marks.  I loved my classes at school, but I really loved being with people more, so most of my time in university was spent having coffee with people, not as much in the library, though I did get there some!  Honest!


At that time, getting into Teacher's College was harder than Law School or Med School or at least that was the rumour out there.  There were few spots for the large numbers of applicants.  You had to have the top marks or you didn't have a chance.  I knew people who had applied 3 years in a row and still didn't get in.  With my marks, it wasn't looking good.  But then I came across Queen's.  Their qualifications made much more sense, especially considering it was a teacher's program - believe it or not, they actually considered experience!  This was the school for me!  I hoped.  Queen's also had an international teaching fair where schools from around the world came to interview Queen's teaching students.  They would hire them on the spot and would guarantee a job for them that fall.  I had international teaching experience in Africa, so I hoped that would help.


At some point during this year, I cannot remember exactly when in the process, my more mature Christian friend, suggested we fast and pray for my future.  I didn't know much about fasting, except that it was a more serious form of prayer.  I was being quite selfish in my requests that year - it was all about me, to be honest.  I was a fairly young Christian.  So, we decided, once a week to not eat until our evening meal that we shared together.  All day, whenever the urge to eat came, I prayed, begging the Lord to show me what he wanted for my life and again, looking back, perhaps this was a little selfish and immature, but I begged him to help me get into Queen's.


I'm not sure if I fasted weeks or months, but it was over the last part of my final year for sure.  Slowly, but surely, the universities started to let people know if they'd been accepted.  Right away, I got two letters of rejection in small, regular-sized envelopes.  Oh dear, things weren't looking good.


Then, a letter from Queen's arrived.  It was bigger.  A little thicker.  My heart was racing.  "We'd like to thank you for applying to Queen's."  Sounded positive.  "We're pleased to accept you into our education program."  What????!!  I'm in!?  No way!  Impossible!  I was one of the very few that got accepted that year.  Was it because I had fasted?  Was it a miracle?  I don't know, but did my faith grow that year?  You bet.  I was thrilled.


I went on to interview with several schools later that year at the international job fair and accepted a position with an American school in Colombia.  I taught there for 2 years and loved it.  I feel like the Lord guided me all along the way.


This little introduction to fasting was something I've looked back on many times.  I feel like the Lord used it early on in my Christian walk to show me he can do major things when I seek him in a major way.  I should not have gotten into Teacher's College that year.  I didn't have the marks, only the Lord could have opened that door. 


Now that I have learned a little more about fasting, I see that it is a way that God breaks bonds of oppression in our lives.  Isaiah 58:6 says it best.....


“Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
to loose the chains of injustice
    and untie the cords of the yoke,
to set the oppressed free
    and break every yoke?


For me, it was the spiritual bond of confusion.  I didn't know what he wanted for my future.  I was very confused.  The fasting helped me by making his direction for my life known.  He made every stop very clear.


I think one way that he started to open doors for me was by showing me what schools to apply to.  Finding out about Queen's was one of those ways.  Then, once I found out about their application process - you had to write an essay explaining why you wanted to get in and how your experience was valuable - I immediately knew I was going to need help and the thought immediately occurred to me to speak to an excellent teacher friend I knew to ask for her help.  Together we looked at my experience and discussed what lessons I had learned from each opportunity.  I went home and wrote it all out, knowing God had helped me put that essay together.  I'm convinced that was the kicker in getting me in. 


Fasting isn't magic.  The picture that comes to my mind is that it is a way of storming the gates of heaven, saying, "Lord, I need you on a whole new level."  It is taking your prayer life up a notch where it is intense, focused praying.  Seeking him, his will and asking for him to intervene, especially in breaking any bonds of oppression in your life.


This is just a small story to start.  The day has begun here, so I must move on, but I'll share more tomorrow. 





No comments:

Post a Comment