Monday 10 February 2014

Goodbye Pity Parties....

I want to invite you again to my family room where the kids and I sat for our morning devotion time on Friday.  This was right after I got off the phone with my other sister wishing her a wonderful time on her trip to Chicago.....


I don't normally do this, but that day I couldn't find my book that tells us what passage to read, so I opened up my Bible and it fell open to Psalms.  I write all over my Bible and I looked down and saw a verse underlined.  One about a prisoner.  So interesting.  So I thought to myself, I wonder why I underlined that then?  I also always date the verses I underline for that very purpose, to remind myself what God was doing in my life at that time and sure enough, there was the date - nearly 3 years had passed.  I immediately wanted to read the rest of the Psalm to the kids, so even though it was a little random, we read Psalm 79.


It begins by speaking about how things just are not going well for Jerusalem,


O God, the nations have invaded your inheritance;
    they have defiled your holy temple,
    they have reduced Jerusalem to rubble.

I explained to the kids, it's almost as if the writer, Asaph, is trying to tell God, things aren't how they are supposed to be for your people, your temple.  I asked them, "Isn't that how we feel sometimes?  This isn't how it's supposed to be!  We shouldn't be in this position!  This can't be what you want for us!"

It gets worse before it gets better  - Asaph continues to explain just how bad it is....

They have left the dead bodies of your servants
    as food for the birds of the sky,
    the flesh of your own people for the animals of the wild.
They have poured out blood like water
    all around Jerusalem,
    and there is no one to bury the dead.

It is quite a severe situation - the servants of the Lord are being left for dead.  No one is left to care for them, even to bury them.  This is where my kids love reading the Bible as it can be quite graphic - dead bodies, blood, guts.....

Verse 3 is speaking about how the neighbouring countries view Jerusalem in their plight....

We are objects of contempt to our neighbors,
    of scorn and derision to those around us.

I asked the kids if we are objects of contempt sometimes.  Perhaps to our figurative neighbours who view our family perhaps making extreme decisions when we should just lighten up a bit?  We do know for a fact that we are certainly objects of contempt to Satan.

Asaph has to ask,

How long, Lord? Will you be angry forever?
    How long will your jealousy burn like fire?
Pour out your wrath on the nations
    that do not acknowledge you,
on the kingdoms
    that do not call on your name;
for they have devoured Jacob
    and devastated his homeland.

My not-so-theological interpretation?  Lord, the world is upside down!  The world does not acknowledge God or call on his name!  How long, Lord?  How long does the world have to be like this? 

Then, on to us - verse 8.....
Do not hold against us the sins of past generations;
    may your mercy come quickly to meet us,
    for we are in desperate need.
Help us, God our Savior,
    for the glory of your name;
deliver us and forgive our sins
    for your name’s sake.



These have to be my favourite verses in the Psalm.  We've acknowledged to the kids before that Mommy and Daddy didn't necessarily make the wisest decisions financially in the past.  And, not unlike the author of this Psalm, we've asked that God's mercy  would "come quickly to meet us for we are in desperate need".  For no other reason, we ask for his help "for the glory of your name".  We ask that he would "deliver us and forgive us for your name's sake."

Then, the prisoner theme again....

11 May the groans of the prisoners come before you;
    with your strong arm preserve those condemned to die.

And the generational theme again.....

13 Then we your people, the sheep of your pasture,
    will praise you forever;
from generation to generation
    we will proclaim your praise.
So, verse by verse, we prayed these prayers, just repeating scripture, God's words, back to himself...

"Lord, things are not how they are supposed to be.  You know this.  You see this.  There is contempt in the world for your ways.  How long does it have to be this way?  We ask for your mercy, for your deliverance, in spite of ourselves, who deserve nothing.  You hear our groans.  We need your strong arm.  We pray this for the future generations!"

Before I read the Psalm, I debated on telling them what they were missing out on.  Would it make them upset to know they weren't going on a trip when their cousins were?  Perhaps I should just keep it to myself, but then I thought I will tell them, but not to make them angry or bitter.  I told them very purposefully, to give them a chance to trust God, again.  As I told them I reminded them, (though I hardly think I needed to as they know what God has done), of all the ways God has blessed them, taken care of them.  We don't get tears anymore from anyone.  One of them said, "If he wants us on a trip, he'll get us there somehow."  They've seen this happen so they're speaking truth!  It was another great time of learning for our children.

Simple as that now - life goes on.  The pity parties even in our kids are getting fewer and fewer.  I really don't think they feel underprivileged in any way.  I don't either.

Then, a blessing, at the very end of the day - I was already upstairs getting ready for bed when I got a call from my sister.

My sister's mother -in-law gave my sister tickets to go to "Unique Lives", a speaker series in downtown Toronto of women (and men, I assume?) who live unique lives, thus the name!  The speakers are always fairly famous people who have done amazing things in their lives.  The last time I went I got to hear Craig Kielberger's brother and his wife (he's the Me to We guy) - it was very inspiring and made you want to go out and do just as amazing things or more with your life!  The last time we saw that together was quite a few years ago - it was a wonderful time.  Last night her mother-in-law offered her tickets again, as she'll be out of town, but why of all days, does she call my sister last night - why?!  We all know why by now - because God just does those kinds of things!  Remember he is pursuing, chasing, hunting me down - trying to give me and show me mercy ALL THE DAYS OF MY LIFE!  My sister could have asked anyone, but she asked me.  She could have called any day of the year, but it was that Thursday night, on a day of surrendering our rights.  Perhaps it was because she knew I was missing out on the fun sister weekend coming up.  When she asked if I could free up some time to go......"Done," was what I quickly said.  I think I said it before she even finished her question.


Why am I telling you this?  Because I am trying to share the lows and the highs.  Friday was not necessarily a low, but it was a test for sure.  Mercy was shown once again, this time to me!  Is it coincidence?  I stopped thinking that a long time ago!  Thank you, S!  God used you as a blessing in my life.  I appreciate it and can't wait to go!  Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

This weekend, we were thankful for:

1.  Cold weather, but no frozen pipes.
2.  Stuck in our driveway, missed church, but finally got out!
3.  1st Porsche deal fell through, but 2nd deal working out today, Lord willing.
4.  Very  messy house ahead of me today, but the 3 year old will be with Daddy all day, so that frees up a LOT of time!!!!!
5.  Spring is around the corner, right???????

1 comment:

  1. WOW, how God works - very moving Paula. How he provides....how He blesses...how he used us, others and in timely ways.
    Bless you my dear; you encourage me.
    oxoxox mom

    ReplyDelete